Not sure what I am doing wrong!

I don't know where this 102 number came from lately but the number that is been quoted for years is 101. Yes 102 would work but would hatch them early an there is not much play room between it an 103 which is bad. But yes the temp is measured at the top of the eggs like this.
stillair2.jpg

Ive never actually read the instructions myself but most say its best to throw them out the window.

I think I may have been measureing the temp incorrectly. I have the thermometor on the floor of the bator and that is where it is reading 99.5.
But wouldn't that be accurate though? If it was 99.5 on the base, then you could assume it was the 101-102 at the top of the egg???
If not, then I will set the thermometor on top of the eggs.

Really not much you can do wrong then. As long as the temp is good an the humidity is up. I really think dropping your humidity day 1-18 is going to be key. Almost everything that goes wrong day 1-18 does not show till the last 3 days. Temp, infection an bad genetics is about all that will kill before day 19.

I am definitely going to follow your advice for my next batch! I am hoping to have a better success rate.
But I did come home to 2 pips!!! One is doing good but I didn't see any further activity since I got home on the other one.
I do have another question though. Right now the humidity is only 62%. Should I try to get it up to at least 70% or let things be since I do have those 2 pips? I don't want to risk losing them.
I guess now I have another question!
wink.png
How can you tell if they are shrink wrapped? It is a beige egg but I can see bright white where it looks like some of the outer part of the shell came off. I wasn't sure if it is part of the egg or if the bright white I am seeing means it might be shrink wrapped???

70% would be better if you can do it without opening up the incubator but if not 62% is good enough, I would just sit back an watch. They should hatch in the next 24 hours.

Shrink rap is not something you will be able to see threw a pip. It literally looks like the chick is in hard plastic.

I would have to open the bator up to try and bring the humidity up so I will be patient and hope for the best! I will let you know how things work out and also my next batch. I think I will try to keep a log of the temp & humidity with my next batch and maybe try to have a better idea what might be happening.
Thanks! I don't think this little one is shrink wrapped then because he definitely pipped through the shell and I can see his beak now so I think things are good that he isn't shrink wrapped???

WooHoo!
I have had 2 hatch and one is on the way now!! I was wrong. I am on day 25 now! Thank goodness I waited because they are cute little ones! Thanks for talking me through this one!!

Here is a pic of the 2 that hatched so far.

IMAG0898.jpg

Quote:
I just wanted to update you on my second batch. So far things have been much better. All of them have shown growth and are doing well so far!!! I had 4 that I took out that were not fertile but ALL of the other ones look good so far. I kept the humidity down to 30% which I had to not put any water in the bator at all. I also bought a humidifier for the room so it kept the room humidity at a more constant level instead of going up and down like it was. I am on day 19 and I am working to get the humidity up to 70% but am taking it slow so I don't get it too high.

Thanks for you help. So far so good and I do believe I will have a better hatch this time!! I will let you know!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom