Not sure what I'm dealing with

Mark Whatley

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
I have a 2 1/2 year old hen that hasn't laid an egg in months. I suspect she has a reproductive issue because some of her eggs have been very soft shelled or no shell at all. Sometimes they dropped in the night while on the roost. The other two hens are the same age and breed (Buff Orpington). One of them has never been a good layer and the other is rock solid.

They have been on Purina Layena throughout adulthood and forage in the yard.

The first girl I mentioned has been under the weather for about a month. Symptoms are mild gaping, inactivity, closing eyes (eyes look good/clear) and the most concerning thing is no solid poop, just fluid. Her comb ranges from dull/purpley to bright red. The severity of the symptoms seem to ebb and flow, although the watery poop has been pretty constant. She still eats and drinks and hangs out with the others. Her crop usually feels fairly empty. Her belly feels very firm, possibly distended. Vent looks fine. I don't see anything like gape worms in her throat, and I understand they are pretty rare.

These chickens are the first and only ones I've ever had and would like to bring in two or three young adults to boost the egg numbers, but don't want to expose new birds to a sick one. I mainly just want to figure out what this hen is suffering from and do my best to treat her. I appreciate any insights and ideas.

The age and firm belly, combined with the history of soft shelled or no shelled eggs, and now stoppage of laying, do indicate a likely reproductive problem. It could be infection from egg material, or even a cancer. It's often hard to know. If the soft shelled eggs were still happening then I'd recommend a calcium supplement to see if it helped that, but it sounds as if it's probably far to advanced to hope that would work. Unfortunately, once the abdomen becomes bloated, regardless of underlying cause, there are usually no good treatments and it's a matter of time. I would consider euthanizing if she's inactive, not eating and drinking, obviously not feeling well, until then I would just let her stay with the flock. Sometimes once they become very ill, they may be attacked by flock mates, so watch for that. They are VERY good at hiding illness, so when they act obviously sick, they generally are VERY sick. When the time comes, a necropsy is the best way to know for sure. You can send her off for a professional one, or do an informal one at home to look for obvious abnormalities. You can post pictures of organs here and people will help identify obvious things based on their own experience. It's doubtful that it's anything contagious that will affect your other birds. Reproductive problems, sadly, are not uncommon in birds over the age of 2.

The age and firm belly, combined with the history of soft shelled or no shelled eggs, and now stoppage of laying, do indicate a likely reproductive problem. It could be infection from egg material, or even a cancer. It's often hard to know. If the soft shelled eggs were still happening then I'd recommend a calcium supplement to see if it helped that, but it sounds as if it's probably far to advanced to hope that would work. Unfortunately, once the abdomen becomes bloated, regardless of underlying cause, there are usually no good treatments and it's a matter of time. I would consider euthanizing if she's inactive, not eating and drinking, obviously not feeling well, until then I would just let her stay with the flock. Sometimes once they become very ill, they may be attacked by flock mates, so watch for that. They are VERY good at hiding illness, so when they act obviously sick, they generally are VERY sick. When the time comes, a necropsy is the best way to know for sure. You can send her off for a professional one, or do an informal one at home to look for obvious abnormalities. You can post pictures of organs here and people will help identify obvious things based on their own experience. It's doubtful that it's anything contagious that will affect your other birds. Reproductive problems, sadly, are not uncommon in birds over the age of 2.
Thanks very much for your reply and information. I will keep a close watch on her and see how it goes. There is no bullying going on, even though she obviously feels bad. One of the others stays close to her and even lays next to her when they plop down in the dirt. Again, I very much appreciate your reply.

I have a 2 1/2 year old hen that hasn't laid an egg in months. I suspect she has a reproductive issue because some of her eggs have been very soft shelled or no shell at all. Sometimes they dropped in the night while on the roost. The other two hens are the same age and breed (Buff Orpington). One of them has never been a good layer and the other is rock solid.

The first girl I mentioned has been under the weather for about a month. Symptoms are mild gaping, inactivity, closing eyes (eyes look good/clear) and the most concerning thing is no solid poop, just fluid. Her comb ranges from dull/purpley to bright red. The severity of the symptoms seem to ebb and flow, although the watery poop has been pretty constant. She still eats and drinks and hangs out with the others. Her crop usually feels fairly empty. Her belly feels very firm, possibly distended. Vent looks fine. I don't see anything like gape worms in her throat, and I understand they are pretty rare.

These chickens are the first and only ones I've ever had and would like to bring in two or three young adults to boost the egg numbers, but don't want to expose new birds to a sick one. I mainly just want to figure out what this hen is suffering from and do my best to treat her. I appreciate any insights and ideas.
Update: I found a really great source of information on the website http://www.poultrydvm.com and based on the symptoms I put in to the diagnosis helper I believe this chicken suffers from oviduct impaction. Sadly, there doesn’t appear to be a positive outcome.😢

Another update: I bathed her this morning to clean up her bum and noticed swelling and redness around her vent, as well as some reddish tissue sticking out of the vent. I know this isn’t good. I placed her on a towel on the ground after bathing her and she hasn’t moved since then. I know no one can make the decision for me, but in your experience would it be the humane thing to put her down now?
4167C118-B41F-4E3C-8396-D6FAFE368F2C.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom