Not sure what the "Sore" on Leghorn's Comb is.

kglazier

Chirping
May 17, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I noticed the "sore" on my my leghorn's comb today. He is 9 months old. Eating and acting normal. I am not sure what it is or what to do about it. It hurts him when I touch it.All the other chicken's combs look fine.

Also, he never crows. My daughter says that she sees him silent crowing but I have never seen or heard a crow or attempt.

It may be fowlpox. Look that up in the search bar here and see if it matches. I don't have much experience in this area.

x2, could be fowl pox.

All I know is that there isn't much you can do, it will run it's coarse and should finish in about 3 weeks time. It is very contagious ( to other chicken ) so isolate him until he has recovered.

Do you have any other roosters? Is it hard to the touch or slightly squishy? If its squishy, it could be a wound from other roosters fighting him. The crowing you said your daughter has seen may be him opening his beak to move food down to his crop. If you have other roosters, he may not be the dominant one, and may be so far down the pecking order that he won't crow. I had 20 roos at one point, and I never heard any but 3-5 crow-- until I culled some. Then I started hearing all new voices. Lol. It's like the roo version of a pecking order.

That is fowl pox, a virus from mosquitoes that can spread from bird to bird in your flock. It lasts a month or so, and they become immune after havin g it. There is a more serious diphtheric type or wet pox that can cause yellow cheesey lesions in the throat and mouth causing airwzay obstruction. If any stop eating and seem very ill, look inside the beaks. You canput iodine on the dry pox spots to dry them up.

Thanks, I look up fowlpox. it is hard not squishy.

It has been a bad year for 'skeets...

I have to other one other standard roo. 6 months old but he is lower than the hens in the pecking order. I also have a bantam roo.

Last edited:
turns out the leghorn with fowl pox is a hen. I moved him err her inside my shed with heat lamp . She laid an egg after a few days. I had thought it was a roo because I was only getting 1 egg every other day from my two leghorns. this one is 1/3 larger than the other one and had a much bigger comb. I'll wait till spring ...maybe they will start laying more. still getting 10 eggs a week from 2 RIRs the same age....the chicken does not like bring isolated.

Back
Top Bottom