Not sure what to do * Poop Picture*

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
we have a nearly 5 month old Turkey hen who for the last month has had this type of poo off and on, she will do this for a few days then go back to normal... We notice sometimes she seems not well but then when we decide its something serious she pops out of it... Not sure what to think, Its not normal and our other two turkeys never exhibit this, I did alittle research and was concerned for blackhead but had called our extension office and was told now twice now that we do not have that in our area. I had also discovered that cayenne pepper is good for them so I give it to the whole flock once or twice a week.
I know the photo is kinda gross but wanted some imput from experts... She roost on this gate so it was pretty disgusting and thought to take a picture before spraying it off.. We have separated her twice as we were concerned but she freaks out so bad and wants to be with the flock, we did separate her with the other two and she was fine within 24 hours but then like clockwork did this again..

Casportpony and other BYC members are more familiar with histomonas or blackhead than I am. Symptoms are bright yellow droppings. I think most people treat with a wormer fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer 1/2 ml for every 2.2 lb given by mouth, and repeat in 10 days., and also give metronidazole (Flagyl) 30 to 60 mg per each 2.2 lb daily by mouth for 5 days. Here is a link to read about the symptoms:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/74/histamonosis-histomoniasis-blackhead

Casportpony and other BYC members are more familiar with histomonas or blackhead than I am. Symptoms are bright yellow droppings. I think most people treat with a wormer fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer 1/2 ml for every 2.2 lb given by mouth, and repeat in 10 days., and also give metronidazole (Flagyl) 30 to 60 mg per each 2.2 lb daily by mouth for 5 days. Here is a link to read about the symptoms:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/74/histamonosis-histomoniasis-blackhead

I was afraid it was blackhead but my stinking extension office kept telling me there was no way... I have a closed flock but will head over to the feed store this morning and get what I need...

Dangit! I have lost a few turkeys after they started doing this and was just told they were getting chilled (all losses were before 4 months old)

Ok, update, after much talking to Our local feed stores (there are 3) and calling a few vets it has been reaffirmed that we do not have blackhead in this area, no reports... I got the email of a vet who wanted to see a pic but she said by the way she was acting she would say it Cocci (sorry, I never can spell it) at the least it could be worms.. Got some remedies to try, Oil of Oregano and Cayenne ( I wasn't giving enough which is why she would do good for a few days and then go back down)

Its been nearly a week since my last post and thought I would update..
We separated the three turkeys for good from the rest of the chicken flock, although they don't like it (they were raised with the chickens) our hen is doing so much better, he poop is nearly normal now, just a spot of that nasty yellow in it when I clean out under their roost every morning. She is eating much better and doesn't stand around all day with her head down.. A few days after separating them our Tom started showing off for his girls which amazed us as he hadn't really done this before.. They have one more day of the Cayenne pepper in their feed then I drop it for a few weeks as per instructions I was given. I will continue to add the AVC to their water daily and the oregano oil to their feed..
I am not saying this is a cure all for anyone else's turkeys who are sick but it sure has helped my girl..

Back
Top Bottom