1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by barkerboysflock, Sep 9, 2016.

1. barkerboysflock

barkerboysflock New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    I have a flock of about 30 chickens with 3 rooysters and 3 ducks on the side. Well my ducks started laying eggs long story short one of my older hens was broody and would sit on the duck eggs right after being laid. Now I have about 12 eggs at different stages of development. Well I let her sit the eggs and about 2 weeks ago an egg hatched no surprise a chicken had lad an egg in with my duck eggs. We moved momma, chick and eggs into a dog create with food and water. All was well until yesterday when one of the duck eggs hatched. All seemed fine I got home today after work my husband reported that when ever heard would look in on ducky he would find momma chicken had pushed out from the eggs and it was shivering in the cold. Well then Ifound she had pecked at ducky right behind the head at the neck and now there is a soar there. Of course I took momma out to the coop and set up a brooder with heat lamp and my husband said take the eggs in there with ducky and chick. I have it nice and warm at about 98 to 99 with a wet sponge for humidity and wood shavings. Should I go buy an incubator tomorrow or take the eggs out to another broody hen? And put triple antibiotic on it?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Usually a broody accepts what hatches, often chickens or ducks will brood each other's eggs if given to them. In fact some chicken mamas get frantic if they hatch a duckling who wants to go into water. I would take and raise in a brooder without mama. If you are going to take all unhatched eggs then they should be in an incubator. But the hatched ones are ready for a brooder.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You have some good advice re: your hatch and eggs. Sure, for you injured bird, wash the injury with saline water, rinse with iodine and then triple antibiotic cream should do the trick.

Good luck
    CT

5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 I'm the normal one Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I don't have ducks, but I've had three chicks that have been pecked when hatching. The first I'm unsure who did it, possibly a hen who just wanted to lay an egg in the nest, but the last two were by the same hen. She did a lot of damage in a very short amount of time. I took all her eggs away and put them in my incubator. I already had it running.

In my cases, I used a clean wet paper towel moistened with lukewarm water and blotted just to get the excess blood off the ones who were pecked in the head. I chose to blot because it was near the ear and I couldn't rinse the wounds without involving the ear. I used Hibitane antibacterial crème, new to me...but I'm very pleased with it. I didn't cover their wounds, my chicks aren't big pickers in that sense. The wounds healed with no issues, but it appears that the chicks won't have feathers growing in those areas.

One of the chicks was pecked in the abdomen, breaking the yolk sac and perforating a hole large enough that intestines were escaping. He kept me busy for a few days, but that chick survived and one would never know anything happened to it. I'm still shocked about this guy. I moved all injured chicks into my house brooder so flies wouldn't be an issue and so I could keep an eye on them.

That's been my experience if any of it helps. My first thought when I first saw each injured chick was that it would die.
    I just want you to know that they can make it.[​IMG]

I hope your baby duck will be ok.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. barkerboysflock

barkerboysflock New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Well the ducky is still alive this morning. It is still very weak though the soars are looking a little better. It will get up and move a little bit. I gave it water with a syringe it took maybe a 1/4 teaspoon then pooped down the sleeve of my robe it stunk really bad. But at least it's internal organs are working. The eggs are nice and warm around a 100 degrees under the lamp we are buying a incubator today. I hope little ducky perks up though

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I'm glad to hear it made it through the night! And it sounds like you have the eggs under control as well. [​IMG]

My chicks slept a lot in the first few days, but they started eating with the other chicks just like chicks do.
    I really lucked out there.
    Do baby ducks sleep a lot at first? Or do they start eating right away? I am totally uneducated on ducks.

I think I applied cream only once because it scabbed up after that. Check for any swelling or redness that may indicate infection.
    The little fellow below with the scabs off the one side of his face. He's much bigger now but the wounds still looks the same as this pic with no feathers.
    Neither had any indication of infection. I didn't treat with any antibiotics with the head pecks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic was taken August 22 and white chick's wounds have yet to slough off the scabs.
    This wounds were quite deep.

9. barkerboysflock

barkerboysflock New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Well ducky died [​IMG] poor thing. My husband reminded me that it was a double yoke egg it hatched out and they are normally weaker. I do have my incubator with 11 eggs in it that are all different stages I am going to add maybe 10 more to the lot and then I am done hatching eggs for the season I think.

10. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Awwwww darn. I'm so sorry to hear about your little duck. [​IMG]

I haven't had the luck of getting a double yolker to hatch, but I have heard the same as what your husband's saying from others.

That's exactly what I did with all my broody hens, I gave a chick to each hen who wanted one, I put all the eggs in my incubator and I cleaned out all the nests.
    My eggs were at different stages too. When they looked close I up my humidity (it's been dry lately) and kept it up until everyone was done hatching if that helps at all.
    I candled at night to see who pipped or was close and I kept those eggs in the container that keeps the chicks from getting everywhere.
    They hatched better than I expected for not having anything to go by for exact dates.
    I wish you the best of luck with the eggs. [​IMG]
    I'd love to hear how you make out with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by