not sure whats wrong with my pullet. . .

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
She is somewhere between 3 and 4 months old i believe. An ameraucana. Over the last little while she seemed a bit light on her feet, if you nudged her she would almost topple over, and as of the last 2 days she has gotten worse. She hangs her wings down as if she doesnt have the energy to keep them up. she was a bit crusted over on her nostrels. Seems to breathe wierd from her mouth, and since i got her like a month ago, she hasnt really gotten any bigger and the other I got with her is noticibly getting larger and healthier. I seperated them now, not sure what to do or what could possibly be causing this. She has been outside living in a coop since i got her,, and we have had a few cold nights, i wasnt sure if that could be the culprit. she eats alot, and drinks fine. I am just trying to figure out what typically causes these symptoms. Please help me save my girl. . . .

Does she have discharge from her nostrils as you said she was "crusted over at the nostrils", and breathing thru her mouth. Sounds like she could have a respiratory illness. You might want to isolate her and start her on antibiotics, like duramycin, agrimycin, both of these can be gotten at most feed stores. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock incase she has infected the others. I am sorry you are having trouble with your baby.
hugs.gif

Not sure if the fact that she hasnt grown either could mean something too. I have had her like a month or so and the other one i got is significantly larger and getting bigger. I have brought her into the garage for a warmer place to sleep tonight too

You could try adding vitamins to her water, something with added minerals and amino acids, in case she is not absorbing all the needed elements in growth. Also, protein is needed for good growth, so you could start giving her a chopped up hard boiled egg everyday. That might help also.

Back
Top Bottom