Not sure what's wrong with the chicken?

Coccidiosis has been known to affect walking, but it would be less common in an older pullets. That is why it would be good to rule that out with a fecal test locally. Most vets can do it the same day. But many won’t see chickens or won’t do the fecal without seeing them. I can ask my regular dog vet to do a favor like that for me. If you treat with Corid, you will have to stop the vitamins, since thiamine is not given with Corid.

Tomorrow can you feel of her lower belly to see if it is enlarged, spongy, or tight? Look and feel for any weight loss. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty in the morning. I think this might be more likely a reproductive disorder, but it would be good to rule out parasites in her droppings. I would just offer water and food up to her beak, but not force her to eat or drink.
Today when I held her lower stomach felt normal..I didn't feel any issues.D
I suspect she may have ingested something to cause botulism. A epsom salt or molasses flush might help. Scroll down to LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS in this link:
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments
Do you think it would be okay to give her molasses if it works like a laxative even if shes not wanting any other fluids..basically would it further dehydrate her? Also does it matter what type of molasses? Thanks again

How is she doing this morning? Will she drink anything? Since this has been going on for at least a week now, and with her age of 7 months, it just seems more like possible Mareks. With her symptoms, we always worry about Mareks, botulism, eating a toxin such as lead, automotive spills, or poisons, or eating mold in spoiled feed. Can you try to get her droppings checked by your regular vet today? If you have an interest in tube feeding, you could get a length of aquarium air tubing and a 35 ml syringe from you feed store, and tube some liquids.

How is she doing this morning? Will she drink anything? Since this has been going on for at least a week now, and with her age of 7 months, it just seems more like possible Mareks. With her symptoms, we always worry about Mareks, botulism, eating a toxin such as lead, automotive spills, or poisons, or eating mold in spoiled feed. Can you try to get her droppings checked by your regular vet today? If you have an interest in tube feeding, you could get a length of aquarium air tubing and a 35 ml syringe from you feed store, and tube some liquids.
Today she seems to be more alert..she's swallowing the food and water a little better..

This morning I tried to check what was suggested..

Her crop seemed okay this morning

She does seem to have some weight loss, but i figured that was probably to be expected because it only started after she quit wanting to eat and drink right.

She still has diarrhea, but it seems more brown today instead of yellow

Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but she's keeping her left eye closed a lot. That only started maybe 2 or 3 days ago, and I've seen her open it a bit some; she just keeps it closed more than open. When it is open, i don't see any visible changes, and the pupil seemed to react to light. Also, I don't see any discharge or visible swelling.

Thanks again for all of the help

I hope your hen is doing better today. An easy way to get a rough weight on her is to hold her and weigh yourself, then check your weight, and subtract the difference. A kitchen scale gives a much more accurate weight, but knowing how many pounds is good enough to know how much fluid and medication to give.

Back
Top Bottom