Not sure where to put this

That happened with my serama, the feet snagging underneath thing. I've sewed the diapers to adjust for this now. Does she like to be held and cuddled? I find it helps sometimes to put the diaper on then straightaway just hold her for a while so she gets user to the feel of it on her body without her worrying about if she can move normally in it. They worry about it, I think, until they realise they can still walk and fly and do everything as normal. They think they are trapped somewhere or weighed down and that's probably why your girl panicked.

How did you adjust it? I made a fold and sewed it in to shorten the chest piece. I left back and straps alone.

I do love to cuddle to her and she wants to sleep with me, but while she’s not fully grown, she’s CERTAINLY not a baby! And with a little bit bigger bird, comes bigger poop and bigger stink. Not something I fancy worrying about rolling over into whilst asleep. :gig

How did you adjust it? I made a fold and sewed it in to shorten the chest piece. I left back and straps alone.

I do love to cuddle to her and she wants to sleep with me, but while she’s not fully grown, she’s CERTAINLY not a baby! And with a little bit bigger bird, comes bigger poop and bigger stink. Not something I fancy worrying about rolling over into whilst asleep. :gig
Yep, I did the same thing with the chest fold. It seems to have done the trick.

Lol, yes the baby poops are so much easier than the full grown poops, even with my teeny serama. I miss those rice grain sized poops they have when they are babies.
Do you line the inside of the diaper pouch with something and if so what? I've just been using tissue that I fold inside and change out a few times a day but I'm thinking some kind of plastic would be better.

I'm relatively new to chicken diapers. My serama is my first house chicken. she was supposed to live outside with my small flock when she was full grown but I didn't count on how much of a bully one of my other bantams would be.

:th
Yep, I did the same thing with the chest fold. It seems to have done the trick.

Lol, yes the baby poops are so much easier than the full grown poops, even with my teeny serama. I miss those rice grain sized poops they have when they are babies.
Do you line the inside of the diaper pouch with something and if so what? I've just been using tissue that I fold inside and change out a few times a day but I'm thinking some kind of plastic would be better.

I'm relatively new to chicken diapers. My serama is my first house chicken. she was supposed to live outside with my small flock when she was full grown but I didn't count on how much of a bully one of my other bantams would be.

I’m new to them too. Ester was supposed to be an outside chicken, but because she was so much bigger than my silkies ( even as a chick ), I had to seperate her. Now she doesn’t think she’s a chicken. :sick Even according to the lovely lady I got her from. I have 3 Silkie Roos outside in the coop ( One of which is a bully ) and 10+ more silkie chicks waiting to go out. Yes. All in the house. :ducThat’s a WHOLE other can o worms though...

I’ve been using either Cottonnelle toilet paper or viva paper towel. The pouch isn’t huge so I lightly line it. Ya know something. She did well today until she pooped. Apparently it had slipped down a bit and she pooped out and above it. ( At this point I wish there were a facepalm emoji available ). THEN she figured out something wasn’t right and has been picking at it. :barnie I’m not taking it off of her though.

I originally bought one of the hen holsters, but $20 a pop? Couldn’t justify more than one. And I like the ones I’ve made better. It was a pattern I got off BYC. I just modified it for Velcro instead of a button. The ones available on eBay are made with some FUGLY fabric.

Attachments

• D429A52D-AB0D-4491-8C0A-63861AF5DF24.jpeg
    D429A52D-AB0D-4491-8C0A-63861AF5DF24.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 53E621E2-6F15-4D70-9393-FCDB5D9A4DAB.jpeg
    53E621E2-6F15-4D70-9393-FCDB5D9A4DAB.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4790FFD6-1256-4014-A424-BC0D6A61E08D.jpeg
    4790FFD6-1256-4014-A424-BC0D6A61E08D.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 48072F08-8928-44E9-B229-EDDB829AD11A.jpeg
    48072F08-8928-44E9-B229-EDDB829AD11A.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 4
Ester is so adorable!

I had the same issue with the poop not going in the bag. I bought my diapers and customised them to fit because even the small size was too big. One of the things I changed was the bag. I ended up cutting it off and sewing it back on sideways, so that instead of being flat and horizontal, it sits flat on the vertical when not being worn. Does that make sense? That way when the chicken wears it, the sides naturally pull out and it goes from tail to underside and fully covers the vent.
Apart from that, the design of mine overall is very similar to yours.

Wow, all those little silkies in the house! How old are the chicks?

Here's my little Serama pullet, Custard, modelling her diaper.

Attachments

• WP_20180111_10_06_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180111_10_06_12_Pro.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 4
  • WP_20180111_10_01_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180111_10_01_35_Pro.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 3
Ester is so adorable!

I had the same issue with the poop not going in the bag. I bought my diapers and customised them to fit because even the small size was too big. One of the things I changed was the bag. I ended up cutting it off and sewing it back on sideways, so that instead of being flat and horizontal, it sits flat on the vertical when not being worn. Does that make sense? That way when the chicken wears it, the sides naturally pull out and it goes from tail to underside and fully covers the vent.
Apart from that, the design of mine overall is very similar to yours.

Wow, all those little silkies in the house! How old are the chicks?

Your modifications do make sense! I’ll have to try that!!

The oldest ( and my first chicks ) were hatched on 19.11.17. Another 6 a week later, and 9 more a week after that. I’ve only lost 2. That was so hard. :hit In between all this, I was nursing their mother, Pearl ( The Black Pearl ), who succumbed to gape worm. She died in my arms.

Ester was hatched 28.10.17. I was going to stick with just silkies, but she gave me ‘the look’ when I went to pick up the first 2 chicks. The lady I got all of my chickens from has become a close friend and she’d offered to incubate for me.

And now you know how my chicken life expanded. :gig

:( that's so awful that you've lost two chicks and Pearl:hugsI have no experience of gapeworm, thankfully. Since I've only had my chickens for two years I've never lost an adult bird either. I nearly lost one to a fox once, and that was traumatic enough. I'm hoping the rest of my feathery friends are immortal...

Pearl and my 3 Roos were a sympathy gift from the lady who got me into chickens. I had originally gotten 3 Roos from her ( no hen ). Frodo, Sam, and Gandalf. Frodo was bonded to me and I to him. They were my first chickens since early childhood. A raccoon got all 3 over the course of 2 nights. I am so mad at myself and still feel guilty. They ( especially Frodo ) TRUSTED me to keep them safe and I let them down. To say the least, it’s been a continual learning experience. I hope losing them ( not to mention the death rate ) doesn’t make me hard hearted. I’m only doing this as a hobby - not a living. I’d rather get out of it than become cold and unfeeling.

Back
Top Bottom