not sure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lvesdg1, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    hello i just some baby chicks and i am unsure how to sex them..i have read a few things but witout pix i am lost..is there a way to tell by feet or feathers and about 2 or 3 week old? if u have pix it would be great or eve a web sight i can look at...thx marie

Duplicate thread here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=438394

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Sexing of chicks is normally quite difficult. Most true breeds are indistinguishable at birth and only reveal sexual distinctions as they mature. The earliest I have heard about was 5-6 weeks but usually later than that. Now, Sex Link type chickens are crossed for easy identification of the sexes from the time they hatch, just by looking at color/patterns. For example, a Black Sex Link chicken is a cross of a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Barred Rock hen. The chicks are noted for color (female are completely black) or pattern (males have a white spot on their head), so immediately you know one from the other.
    My only suggestion is to wait and read up on the breeds most closely identified with your style chicks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by