Not to sure what to do(mini horse)

Back on topic folks... for those who forgot..here are the original poster's questions. This is not a debate on who cares for their horses better. We're here to help each other with information. Share..

Not to sure what to do.I want to buy this miniature horse. But my property stays pretty wet for most of the spring time. The summer and fall is great. Would this min horse if i left in my backyard until the rest of the propery dries up. Would the houves cut all the grass up and make mud?Does anyone know how much property do i need to have min horse.Just one. I do know the stall is 6x8. I dont have much property. But i really want this horse. But i have to think about the horse. It will come in at night to sleep. what do you think?????​

I think that you will be fine. Yes, they can and will tear up the grass and churn it to mud. Since you have a stall, I would look at putting rubber mats in the stall in then shavings, that way you can keep it very clean and DRY!

I would consider stalling your mini. This way you can control his pasture time, keeping him from overgrazing the pasture. You will only have to worry about him tearing up the pasture too much, if you let him overgraze and kill the grass. By keeping him stalled, especially during the wet months, you can watch his feet closely for thrush and whatnot. Also, by stalling him, you can watch his weight very closely, by controlling both his hay and grain, where as you cannot control how much he grazes if pastured solely. If you let him overgraze and destroy the pasture, it will take MUCH longer to repair and rehabilitate your pasture, than to just control his grazing.

Be careful when the pasture is wet. When you let a horse out to excersize they are usually excited and will run and play. Horses can and have slipped in the mud and on wet grass, pulling muscles, tendons, etc.

The only downsize to stalling your mini, is boredom for him and extra cleaning for you. The stalls will need to be mucked at LEAST once a day(preferably twice) and the mini will need to be brought out regularly for grooming and excercize as well as socialization. I think you'll be fine not having a second animal for him, but it means that YOU are his interaction/socialization and you should take it seriously. Try to bring him out (preferably)daily, walk him, brush him, play with him, and whatnot. Also, for boredom, you want to get creative in providing him/her with mental stimulation. Hanging toys that taste good and rattle, provide some play. There are also rubber balls designed for horses that you can place in there for it to play with. If it's possible, give the mini a window he can look out, I've always kept my windows wired so the horses can see out but can't stick their heads out. Look into getting a radio to play softly near the stall to give some background noise. A bored horse can lead to a frustrated and stressed horse. It is why stalled horses so easily pick up bad habits.

Although as long as you provide your mini with attention and toys/stimulation he should be fine and healthier stalled than standing in mud.

-Kim

Last edited:
You should check into your local ordinances. Minis are considered livestock and your county might have a minimum land requirement to keep him.

Yes, your grass will get torn up. He will need a place to get out of the mud. With pasture that is wet most of the season, keep an eye out on his hooves and lower legs for thrush, scratches, etc. IF possible, I'd seperate your space into two pastures, so one can rest while the other is being grazed.

He will need regular hoof trims, dewormings and vet visits just like a "real" sized horse. None of this is any cheaper because he's smaller. Don't over feed them, like most ponies, they are prone to being overweight and consequently, foundering.

Do not treat him like a toy--train him. There is nothing worse then an ill-mannered horse, I don't care what size it is.

(and not to keep this off topic..)

but studies do show solitary horses are stressed horses :)

So, I'd recommend a friend of some sort. Another mini would be ideal, but a goat or donkey or such would work too. Besides, it's good for them to deal with a pecking order.

Quote:
I would like to say, most of the time a horse kept alone is stressed, is because it gets bored, spend time with you horse, do activities with your horse, and it wont be a problem. You would be stressed too, if you where kept by yourself and never had anyone or any activities to do.
smile.png
ALL animals need alot of interaction, other wise they arent happy.

Back
Top Bottom