Not Trying To Start A Political Debate Or Any Of That Junk

George Romney (1907–1995), who ran for the Republican party presidential nomination in 1968, was born in Mexico to U.S. parents.[45][46] Romney's grandfather had emigrated to Mexico in 1886 with his three wives and children after the U.S. federal government outlawed polygamy. Romney's monogamous parents retained their U.S. citizenship and returned to the United States with him in 1912.[47] Romney never received Mexican citizenship, because the country's nationality laws had been restricted to jus sanguinis statutes due to prevailing politics aimed against American settlers.[citation needed]

This clause of the Constitution hasn't been tested. No one who doesn't fit the definition has been elected.

It doesn't matter where you are born if you have US citizens as parents. The laws have decided that. It is NOT in the Constitution, and the Constitution does not define what they mean by natural born.

Last edited:
A memorandum to Congress dated April 3, 2009, written by the Congressional Research Service (CRS), states:

Considering the history of the constitutional qualifications provision, the common use and meaning of the phrase "natural-born subject" in England and in the Colonies in the 1700s, the clause's apparent intent, the subsequent action of the first Congress in enacting the Naturalization Act of 1790 (expressly defining the term "natural born citizen" to include a person born abroad to parents who are United States citizens), as well as subsequent Supreme Court dicta, it appears that the most logical inferences would indicate that the phrase "natural born Citizen" would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship "at birth" or "by birth."[21]

John McCain (born 1936), who ran for the Republican party nomination in 2000 and was the Republican nominee in 2008, was born at Coco Solo Naval Air Station[36][54][55][56][57][58][59] in the Panama Canal Zone. McCain never released his birth certificate to the press or independent fact-checking organizations, but did show it to Washington Post reporter Michael Dobbs, who wrote "a senior official of the McCain campaign showed me a copy of [McCain's] birth certificate issued by the 'family hospital' in the Coco Solo submarine base.

Note NOT US Soil.....

Quote:
It is a US base OWNED by the US so it is US soil.

sad to say ,but not own by US

my point ,its not really US soil it is PANAMA another country.

Just like my Nephew born in Germany...a US base still not US soil

Quote:
It is a US base OWNED by the US so it is US soil.

It is US territory

If I own land in Tennessee and I own land in Alabama it is both my soil yes?

Last edited:
Quote:

It is US territory

Mat you need to check your info...are you telling me that we own the land all our mil. base are on.........

The US leased the land for the canal...US doesn't own Panama.

We have a base in Cuba ....so does the US own Cuba too.....better hit the books

Quote:
It is US territory

Mat you need to check your info...are you telling me that we own the land all our mil. base are on.........

The US leased the land for the canal...US doesn't own Panama.

We have a base in Cuba ....so does the US own Cuba too.....better hit the books

Yes, every piece of land we have a base on we own. Because it is part of our territory. I am not saying we own the country just the land the base is on. If I am born on a US base in Germany I am on US soil if I am born in Germany in the hospital outside of the Base I am not on US territory.

John McCain was born in 1936 in the Republic of Panama. True he was born in what was then considered the United States Panama Canal Zone, but was never sovereign territory of the United States. The 1903 treaty between the US and the Republic of Panama creating the Panama Canal Zone did not cede territory to the US, it only granted certain perpetual rights under what was basically a lease. The 1936 General Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation signed by President Franklin Roosevelt relinquished some of those US rights a mere six months before McCain's birth. Clearly not all individuals born in United States territories are automatically US citizens, just ask the millions of people who were born in the Philippines while it was a US territory. They can't all run for President, can they?

Back
Top Bottom