Not Trying To Start A Political Debate Or Any Of That Junk

Quote:
oh you want to go to 1790...where was the first 7 Presidents born..........

Jackson 1767- south carolina
Q. Adams- 1767 massachusetts
Monroe-1758 virginia
Madison-1751 Virginia
Jeferson-1743-virginia
Adams-1735 Massachusetts
Washington-1732 Virginia

yep none were States either.......

Quote:
Jackson 1767- south carolina
Q. Adams- 1767 massachusetts
Monroe-1758 virginia
Madison-1751 Virginia
Jeferson-1743-virginia
Adams-1735 Massachusetts
Washington-1732 Virginia

United States wasn't even a country yet.

Two were British subject long after 1776.......

Chester Arthur.....he may have been born in Canda...both his parents were Candian Citizen

Barack Obama....yep a British Subject just like the first 8

Quote:

United States wasn't even a country yet.

yes i know that ...did you know that when they pass in 1790.....no one was old enough to be president and be born in the US...not untill 1811.
because there wasn't a US 35 year before 1811........

I must admit that from the original question, which was really ill informed, this thread has turned into something quite educational. Thanks to the knowledgeable contributors!! Lots of info here.

Again, from the Constitution:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

The Constitution took care of all the first presidents with the "time of the Adoption" part.

Obama: born in Hawaii to an American mother: US citizen from two parts of the law
McCain: born in Panama to American parents: US citizen by birth due to parents
Chester Arthur (I thought it was Cleveland, but I was wrong): Possibly ineligible due to Canadian parents and the possible birth in Canada, not Vermont.

I would also wonder if a person would qualify for president if the hold dual citizenship. My guess is no. I think they would have to relinquish the second citizenship, unless in was a Native tribal citizenship. I know quite a few people with dual citizenships, and it would be an interesting case.

Status as a natural-born citizen of the United States is one of the eligibility requirements established in the United States Constitution for election to the office of President or Vice President. This requirement was an attempt to allay concerns that foreign aristocrats might immigrate to the new nation and use their wealth and influence to impose a monarchy.

The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The Congressional Research Service has stated that the weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion indicates that the term means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship "at birth" or "by birth," including any child born "in" the United States (other than to foreign diplomats serving their country), the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parent who has met U.S. residency requirements.[1]

The natural-born-citizen clause has been mentioned in passing in several decisions of the United States Supreme Court and lower courts dealing with the question of eligibility for citizenship by birth, but the Supreme Court has never directly addressed the question of a specific presidential or vice-presidential candidate's eligibility as a natural-born citizen.

Quote:
Mat you need to check your info...are you telling me that we own the land all our mil. base are on.........

The US leased the land for the canal...US doesn't own Panama.

We have a base in Cuba ....so does the US own Cuba too.....better hit the books

Yes, every piece of land we have a base on we own. Because it is part of our territory. I am not saying we own the country just the land the base is on. If I am born on a US base in Germany I am on US soil if I am born in Germany in the hospital outside of the Base I am not on US territory.

According to this that is not right, if you are born in the US base you are not on Us soil

http://www.legalzoom.com/marriage-divorce-family-law/family-law-basics/is-your-child-us

What you might not know is the borders for citizenship. Those born within U.S. ports and harbors or within 12 nautical miles of U.S. borders are also American citizens. Even babies born on planes flying over the U.S. or its territories acquire U.S. citizenship. The ship or plane's country of origin makes no difference regarding citizenship.

However, U.S. installations in foreign countries are not considered part of the United States. So, delivering a baby at a U.S. naval base or embassy in a foreign country does not entitle the baby to U.S. citizenship.

Although the "citizenship by birth" rules have been complex, the February 2001 Child Citizenship Act (CCA) simplified the process. Now, a child who is under the age of 18, was born outside the U.S., and has at least one U.S. citizen parent automatically acquires U.S. citizenship upon entry into the country as an immigrant. No further paperwork is necessary. The parent may request a Certificate of Citizenship and U.S. Passport for the child if proof of the baby's American-ness is desired

An interesting survey during the 'birther' turmoil asked if a person believed the President was a US citizen.
An alarming number said they didn't believe it.
Then the follow up question was "Is Hawaii a state?" An equally alarming number said 'no'.

I guess that explains it.

Quote:
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom