Not Trying To Start A Political Debate Or Any Of That Junk

thekid

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Ford City, Pennsylvania
Ok so I dont know if this is true or not but I was reading something somewhere where Obama cant run for the 2012 election because to be considered a American Citizen both of your parents must be American and Obama's Father was not American. So is it true that Obama cant run for Pres in 2012?

Quote:
X2

Similar rumors were floating around in the 2008 election.

I heard this before and someone tried to quote the constitution about it, but it turns out it does not say that. I think it says what MamaRoo said, in either have to be born in US soil or have at least one parent who was.

I was concerned about this back in 2008 because if that was true, then people like me wouldn't be eligible because both my parents are not US citizens or born here even though I was. Of course, I don't want the job, but I like to think I could get it if I wanted to.

No naturalized citizen can become president. You must be born a citizen. There are two ways to be born a citizen; have at least one parent a US citizen (either by birth or naturalized) or be born in this country. Obama fits two of these criteria, and his opponent in the last election had one of these criteria...John McCain was born outside of the US to US born parents. Most people forget this fact.

I would imagine the sharpest legal minds that could be mustered have examined the Obama eligibility issue and he is still President. Will more than likely have a second term as well. : )

Quote:
X2

not true ,you can be born on a us base in another country. My Brother's first born was born in Germany Army Base.

Quote:
X2

not true ,you can be born on a us base in another country. My Brother's first born was born in Germany Army Base.

True, but that is because a US base in another country is considered US soil. Also, if you are serving in the Army, then you are a US citizen, so you're children would be US citizens even if they were born in a German hospital.

mom'sfolly :

No naturalized citizen can become president. You must be born a citizen. There are two ways to be born a citizen; have at least one parent a US citizen (either by birth or naturalized) or be born in this country. Obama fits two of these criteria, and his opponent in the last election had one of these criteria...John McCain was born outside of the US to US born parents. Most people forget this fact.

He was born on US soil because he was born on a military base. A military base of the USA counts as USA soil.​

Last edited:
Quote:

True, but that is because a US base in another country is considered US soil. Also, if you are serving in the Army, then you are a US citizen, so you're children would be US citizens even if they were born in a German hospital.

Yep. I very carefully didn't say 'in the US'. My sister was born in Panama, on base, which qualified as US soil (and her parents are citizens).

Back
Top Bottom