(Not urgent) clear beak mucus

Limniris

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Hi guys. One of my hens has been sneazing the last few days (3 or so). She shakes her head as if the mucus is disturbing her in the beak and some times wide opening it (like trying to move some mucus down the throat; not as if she couldn’t breath).
No noises during her breathing, and today she got clear liquid mucus on her nostrils (expected).
She’s over 5 months old, layer hen (blue/grey feathers).
She’s the most active of the flock, running, scratching the dirt, chirping, looking for food in my hands all the time, drinking and eating normally, normal poo, and “erected” stand, she’s active and alert of noises. Had not noticed any weigh change, good feathers, legs, eyes, vent...

we have a dwarf/serama incorporated a week ago, which sneazes frequently too since we took him, but with active attitude and normal feeding/drinking behaviour. Came from a healthy flock, no other symptoms.

They live in a wooden house outside, with permanent acces to a garden/small field (house closed during night). The bedding is made from crushed hemp. The particle size is big, but is true that you can feel very small dust when you manipulate it, it makes me cough actually. The cop is cleaned everyday (poops€, and bedding removed completly every week and a half (just changed it a few days ago).

last days it’s been raining most part of the day, they are stupid and get all soaked 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I’m a bit paranoid with ANY symptom (biologist here :,D) but I’m trying to be rational and with no worrying behaviour I’m thinking of let the situation develop a few more days before thinking about vets. They have been taking during 6 days a natural solution for coccidia (plant extracts) as prevention and I’m gonna add a multivitamin solution during this week in the water.

What’s your opinion? I’m aware of infection possibilities but the clear mucus seems more like a rhinitis process due to dust, polen, stress (they have been here only 2’5 weeks), different weather from the factory, etc... but im not sure if a non dangerous mucus process is common in hens due to these reasons or if it always means bacteria/fungi/virus infection.
Thanks a lot!

It could be environmental or it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis. The new bird could have been a carrier from his old flock. Symptoms are frequent sneezing, clear nasal drainage and congestion. If it is IB virus, it lasts about a month and can spread through the flock. Survivors are carriers for 5 months up to a year. Mild sneezing can come from eating and dust getting into nostrils.

Thanks! I’m gonna keep an eye on them and if I see any downfall in the behaviour I’ll take them to the vet (💸💸). Thanks for the timetable of the virus!!
It could be environmental or it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis. The new bird could have been a carrier from his old flock. Symptoms are frequent sneezing, clear nasal drainage and congestion. If it is IB virus, it lasts about a month and can spread through the flock. Survivors are carriers for 5 months up to a year. Mild sneezing can come from eating and dust getting into nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom