Not urgent: I have a plan for incubation via hen. Please correct my errors and educate me.

ScarletinaVixen

Songster
Mar 3, 2019
As I live in an area rural enough to have unreliable electricity (went out 4 times today, for example), I will let hens hatch eggs because an electric incubator will be a dreadfully risky adventure. Heck, my electric oven is risky. I have lost loaves of bread and batches of cookies to sudden power outages. I imagine my egg loss via electric incubator would be equally high.
That having been established, my plan which I request you correct and modify as needed, is as follows:
Broody silkies in their own coop and run. No rooster.
Layer hens in their own coop and run with Richard, my affectionate love sponge rooster.
Meat hens with a rooster I have not yet ordered in their own coop and run.
3 coops and runs. 1 fertile egg laying, 1 fertile meat, 1 infertile broody gang of silkies.
As I get fertile eggs from desired hens, mark as meat or layer (M/L) with date, place under broody silkie, allow silkie(s) to hatch and nurture clutches, visible to 2 other flocks, until silkie gives them the boot, then incorporate into meat or layer flock as determined.
I will feed silkies and chicks a 20% starter until chicks are raised, give silkies a break before the next clutch (16%), then wait until someone goes broody and repeat.
I have to do this as if electricity is not an option.
Please let me know your thoughts and any modifications you advise before I begin building this summer.

Silkies are a good choice as are bantam Cochins.
I read about a hatchery that only uses the latter.
Keep in mind that you can't predict when any bird will get the desire to raise a family or that you can get them to take a break when you wan them to.
Have several wire bottom elevated cages ready for broody jails to break them when you don't want them to sit.

Silkies are a good choice as are bantam Cochins.
I read about a hatchery that only uses the latter.
Keep in mind that you can't predict when any bird will get the desire to raise a family or that you can get them to take a break when you wan them to.
Have several wire bottom elevated cages ready for broody jails to break them when you don't want them to sit.
Are Cochins heat hardy?

I have had my power go out during incubating. I used some jump starters with inverters.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?que...4463106883&wl5=9012331&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&veh=sem
IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG

AC-DC inverter.jpg

I have 2 sets of eggs in an incubator and 2 sets of chicks under brooders.
We had a wind/thunderstorm and lost power during the night but luckily it was only out for about 5 minutes.
I have considered the wisdom of building a 12 volt DC incubator.
But I have a real nice generator so I do have backup. Trouble is, I slept right through the storm.

@cmom
That's impressive. I will look into this... step one is building the facility to house it. I will do that soon. With Holy Week coming up, I'll be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Then, I can get with the chicken buildings and use your idea to see how it goes for me.
@ChickenCanoe
Some neighbors here swear by silkies for broody ladies. I am apprehensive, but I am ready to give it a go. I will hopefully remember to reply to this thread and show progress and learn more.

I have a battery backup for my aquarium stuff for if the power goes out. It may be worth looking into one of those to see if it would provide suitable power. They soak up power while the power is on, then put it into the device when the power goes out.
If you decide not to go with incubators, then yes, that sounds like a viable plan. Just be sure you keep track of when each silkie was last broody, so they don't keep going broody too close together.

@Fishkeeper
I considered a battery backup. My only concern is when the power goes out for 12-36 hours. It happens once or twice a year. The power company did say they installed propane cannons to keep the vultures from causing a ruckus and assured me that would solve the problem. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom