Not using nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmeggs, Oct 10, 2015.

1. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I have 5 red sex links in coop together they have always used nest boxes the way they should . Recently I'm finding a egg on floor of coop almost every day. They have 3 nest so it should be plenty nest space

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy shmeggs

If your gals were new to laying, I would tell you that this is normal and that some coaxing to lay in the nest box with some fake eggs or golf balls may be helpful.

But, as they used to use the nest box, I wonder if something has changed?

This is not a reflection on your chicken husbandry but could there be mites or lice in the nest box causing them to be reluctant to use it? Have you changed the nesting material to something they have not had in the past?

Another possibility; I have a couple of chickens with very fluffy butts and I am always finding any egg on the coop floor or in the middle of the run. While they use the nest box to lay their egg, if they linger while the egg dries, it sticks to their feathers and drops off when they get out of the nest box .. I had to bail up Blondie the other day as she was walking around the garden with an egg stuck to her feathers [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    they are about year and half old and I am still using straw in nest just like usual

4. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Try looking around the coop were there laying
    Because hens normally lay were they feel safe and secure

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    HUH! Never thought of that...I've been finding a few on the floor from one of my older hens, she's pretty fluffy too.

6. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    [​IMG] I think thats funny an egg stuck on the butt..cute

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] I agree with @aart 's comment. I have 2.5+ yo hens and all have used the nests routinely, but lately have found a couple in the coop just outside the nests. One of my BR's sits a long time on her egg after laying, bet this is what has caused that. Thanks so much for the information.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Wow .. I thought that happened to everyone; it is definitely a common occurrence at our place but then we do have lots of fluffy butts …….. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by