Not using nesting boxes

Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hey everyone. The recent nor’easters have brought a lot of snow and rain. It unfortunately leaked into the chicken coop and made the floor into a pond :barnie We got it cleaned up quick, and we set up provisions to make sure it doesn’t happen again. However, for that period of time, the nesting boxes were unusable. Now, after cleaning up, the chickens refuse to use the nesting boxes. Instead, they lay their eggs in the corner under the roosting bar, meaning the eggs always get covered in poo. I’ve tried to leave eggs in the boxes to prompt them to use them, but no success. Is there any way to get them using the boxes again?

Patience. I’d keep trying by putting their eggs in the box. Can you move a box to where they are laying? Would protect the eggs from poo and give them the right idea. Or try to make where they are laying eggs less desirable. (Being pooped on isn’t enough right? LOL)

I had some girls laying in a corner on the floor. Removed nest boxes to try and break a broody—no one would lay an egg. Didn’t use a box for weeks—with no box refused to lay at all.

Patience. I’d keep trying by putting their eggs in the box. Can you move a box to where they are laying? Would protect the eggs from poo and give them the right idea. Or try to make where they are laying eggs less desirable. (Being pooped on isn’t enough right? LOL)

I had some girls laying in a corner on the floor. Removed nest boxes to try and break a broody—no one would lay an egg. Didn’t use a box for weeks—with no box refused to lay at all.
It would be hard to put a box there since it would interfere with the roosting bar. The chickens are so stubborn:rolleyes: Hopefully soon they’ll snap out of it, but I’ll keep putting eggs in the boxes. Maybe block off that corner?

It would be hard to put a box there since it would interfere with the roosting bar. The chickens are so stubborn:rolleyes: Hopefully soon they’ll snap out of it, but I’ll keep putting eggs in the boxes. Maybe block off that corner?
That was my other thought. Put something there that blocks them from getting comfortable to lay eggs. They may just move to a new location. My girls picked a corner with the rake leaning in front of it. Prison nest box? LOL Once one girl liked it others thought it looked good too. I was happy the eggs were all in one place where I could find them. I never know with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom