Not vaccinated, not medicated -does this mean not safe?

My girls were hatched May 27th. Because they are so few, they are still on their first bag of chick starter, it is going faster each day. Can I add other food? Like food scraps?

"I wanted to raise my 8 RIRs organically. I could only get medicated chick starter. But if possible they will not have artificial growth hormones, or antibiotics. I just hope that this is possible."

Bebe, there are organic (non-medicated) chick starters out there. My chicks came from McMurray Hatchery and they offer organic feeds from their online store

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/certified_organic_complete_feeds_.html

There are many additional resources found just by googling also. I believe you can go less expensive depending on the degree of organic "purity" you want. The organic feed is made from organic ingredients but if you just want "traditionally grown" without drugs you may find some that are less expensive.

I would like to raise my chickens without drugs and such but as with you when I first got started the local stores only carried the medicated starter. I have also read and recieved advice saying that going medicated with the first flock or two is a huge advantage to a new chicken person. It's personal preference, so check out the link.
Brian​

I looked up the McMurray Hatchery, but nothing to show where it is. I live in Central Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom