Not vaccinated, not medicated -does this mean not safe?

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
A friend who keeps chickens came to visit my little flock of four the other day and asked me if my chicks had been vaccinated and if their food is medicated. I didn't know the answer to either question - there's absolutely nothing written on the bag of feed other than the "Kelly's" logo.

So I stopped by the feed store today and found out that no, the chicks are only vaccinated upon special request and that the food is not medicated.

My friend said we would probably be okay since we've never had chickens on the property before so no existing disease.

My chickens are a month old, still in the brooder with excursions to their run for an hour or so at a time during the day. I change their water three times a day; change the food regularly. I pick the droppings out of the pine shavings at least twice a day and clean the whole thing out twice a week. The birds seem very healthy, but should I be watching for anything?

Cocci is what the meds in starter are for and cocci is in the soil. Even the thiamine blocker in the starter will not guarantee they wont be overwhelmed by the oocycsts that cause cocci. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of coccidiosis and watch for them, then treat with Corid if they get it. Here is an article for you: http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/dealing_with_coccidiosis.htm

Blood in the droppings is probably the most common thing in young chicks. (a sign of coccidiosis), and medicated feed helps with preventing that.

Some people vaccinate and some dont.... Its more of a preference.

Thanks, Cynthia. I so appreciate your expertise here on BYC.

So, to make sure I understand, Coccidiosis is something that can happen at any time, any age?

Are my chickens more susceptible because they were not vaccinated (although I'm thinking the vaccination is for Marek's, not Coccidiosis, yes?) and because they are on non-medicated feed? It's the only starter our feed store sells. Should I try to find medicated feed somewhere else?

I do give them yogurt every few days because they love it so much and it sounds like that's a good thing, so I'll keep giving it to them. It sounds like I should have this Corid stuff on hand?

I'm going away for a week later this month and leaving my college-aged kids in charge of the flock. I'll give them symptoms to watch for but is there any other prevention techniques I should be using?

Thanks.

Usually, by 12 weeks or so, they have become immune to whatever oocysts are in your soil, but since there are 9 types of cocci, someone else could walk in a type to which they have not developed immunity and conceivably, they could get that type later on in life. Generally, after they are over the chick stage, you are pretty safe.
I have always used medicated feed, but in the last two years, it has made no difference. I always have to treat a new group of youngsters for cocci at least once. Corid is just concentrated amprolium, the same meds in medicated feed at a higher dosage, and works very well. It's not always easy to find and some treat with Sulmet, a sulfa drug, but Sulmet is not effective against one certain type of cocci, and it's hard on their intestines anyway.
Always give youngsters yogurt as a treat (plain, no sugar) for the active cultures. And every so often, add a couple tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to their water (non metal waterers only) for their gut pH. You may never have a bout with cocci if you're lucky.

Very helpful. Thanks. I realize from your posts on the related thread that you're in a damp climate, which presumably contributes to the problem? We're in coastal So Cal, only rains November-March (if then - haven't been getting much rain the past few years!) so maybe less of an issue here?

Without knowing about coccidiosis, I started putting the girls out for half an hour at a time and gradually increased it to an hour and now almost two hours. Sounds like it was the right way to go. I can only imagine how hard it must be to see your chickens get sick after working so hard to raise them and keep them healthy...

I wanted to raise my 8 RIRs organically. I could only get medicated chick starter. But if possible they will not have artificial growth hormones, or antibiotics. I just hope that this is possible.

It depends on the area on how bad cocci is.
In my area I have never had to treat for it and I don't use medicated feed. It is very humid in my area year round.

Back
Top Bottom