Not well silkie!

Mybackyardpeepers

Free Ranging
Mar 22, 2019
Michigan
IMG_20190930_121807631.jpg
IMG_20190930_120555410.jpg
IMG_20190930_120336871.jpg

This is Fancy, one of my 6 silkies. She has not been acting quite herself today. I went out to give them their moist food after letting them out this morning. She was absolutely fine then started coughing or sneezing (sorry don't know the difference as no one has done it before) she got a drink next to me and did it a few more times then quit. I went outside after about 15 minutes and she was still doing ok, no more weird noises. Checked again later and she was sitting on the edge of the their sandbox like she was sleeping. Went over to check her and she got up and walked away to the other siblings. Thinking she was tired because of the rough day and night (we had torrential very cold rains and had to lock everyone up WAY early). Decided to go give everyone a snack and she was gone, no where to be seen! After a frantic search I found her under our bench in the run dozing again! I have now decided to bring her inside for some special attention.
Here is what I can tell ya:
She is drinking nutri-drench off a baby spoon. Eating a bit of baby oatmeal off spoon. She is off/on panting, not severely and she feels a tad warm. She pooped after coming in. She has a firm croup but was eating before she was brought in. Is currently preening herself and talking.
They are feed Purina all flock and get fresh water with hydro hen in it.
I believe she might of got chilled yesterday when the rain started, but their coop is insulated and draft free. Any extra suggestions on what might be going on or what to do help her get over possible chills or cold is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Can she raise her head up normally when she is not so drowsy? She looks weak. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or a similar electrolyte with vitamins drench, and give her a couple of drops. Offer water up to her beak, a little wet chick feed, and cooked egg. Since she is sneezing, do you hear any crackles or wheezes, or see any bubbles or drainage in an eye? Respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis and MG can make them sneeze, be lethargic, sometimes with more symptoms. They do not drink well, so offer fluids orally and in her water. Have you seen any other chickens do this before? Tylan (tylosin) can be good to use orally to treat MG if you can find the injectable at a feed store. You can get the tylosin powder for the water here or from a vet:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Can she raise her head up normally when she is not so drowsy? She looks weak. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or a similar electrolyte with vitamins drench, and give her a couple of drops. Offer water up to her beak, a little wet chick feed, and cooked egg. Since she is sneezing, do you hear any crackles or wheezes, or see any bubbles or drainage in an eye? Respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis and MG can make them sneeze, be lethargic, sometimes with more symptoms. They do not drink well, so offer fluids orally and in her water. Have you seen any other chickens do this before? Tylan (tylosin) can be good to use orally to treat MG if you can find the injectable at a feed store. You can get the tylosin powder for the water here or from a vet:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Hi and thanks for replying. She is actually doing very well! Yes she lifts her head, turns it around. She has not sneezed/coughed at all since this morning. I believe the panting was her getting hot in the house. Trimmed back her face fluff and she was really perky! I was already giving her nutri-drench.

Back
Top Bottom