Not your average bird enthusiast...

Morchela

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Good morning all, I am new here and not your average bird enthusiast. In fact, I've never owned a bird. On Mother's Day I was mushroom hunting for Morchela mushrooms, AKA morels, when lo and behold a little hatchling stumbled across the Forest Road I was driving on with no other birds in sight. I stopped the car and proceeded to observe and look for other ducks or geese or whatever this hatchling was. It was obviously a waterfowl of some sort. She hid under a bramble of bushes and I waited and watched and realized she was alone and at least a mile from the nearest water source. I knew she did not belong where she was so I scooped her up and took her home to give her love, warmth and nutrition. Little did I know I was going to fall in love with a Canadian goose. I thought about adopting her out to a nearby Goose family but in my neck of the woods Bald Eagles are everywhere and geese are lucky to have one surviving gossling in their hatch. I knew for certain that I can guarantee her life until she was ready to go out on her own. At one point I did call my local Nature Center which reprimanded me for having rescued her and declared that I should take her to Fish and Wildlife to be euthanized. Yeah, well that's never going to happen and I can't believe that was even recommended, how disheartening! So no I have morchella my Canadian goose, she is 3 months old and can fly. Unfortunately, she thinks humans and dogs are her friends and as the neighbors walk by she goes out and meets everyone. She has also flew with a car that passed by. That worries me. I'm not sure that she can be rehabilitated to the river at this point, if she meets any humans they might think she's aggressive when she walks up to meet them and if she meets any unfriendly dogs that could be her Doom. I love her with all my heart and would be happy to keep her the 20 years that she may live. I'm not sure what the best solution is. I know that it's illegal to have her and I do live in a neighborhood. Although on an acre, she's fully aware where the road is. Oh yes, I didn't mention that she is outside loose when I am home and kept on the porch when I am not. She also sleeps inside at night, lol. I would love your thoughts...

Welcome from the uk 🇬🇧. Unfortunatly here in the uk the so call animal welfare experts the RSPCA also have a policy of youthanising canadian geese as they say they are not an indigenous species even though they naturally spend part of their life here. I beleive but dont quote me on this that you can also over here get in trouble for rescuing 1 . But im firmly in your court! Its hard not to use profanity in this case and as i have already had it explained to me in a very nice way that symbols as substitutes for an obvious swear word is also not apropreate & Given i like it here i will curb my passions lol. But i think most her will see you as a hero and not a villain. I would and have done exactly the same. Its a conviction id be happy to take!

DFE0305B-E09A-4B0E-8508-E609331B3B5D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom