Not Zinnia! Possible Ascites

Oh, I forgot to mention - holding a leg up is also a general sign of pain. May have nothing to do with her leg... could be abdominal pain that's causing it. If you don't see a bumble, that'll be what it is. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. It's quite rough with a hen you've raised strictly as a pet.

Whew! It's been CHAOS here (family issues). Sorry for the very late reply.

Zinnia is hanging in there. The vet said she seems to be retaining water, but not a lot, so he didn't want to try to drain it. Her symptoms are the same, but she stopped limping. If she worsens, he'll do an ultrasound.

I hope your girl is better than Zinnia. I would be through the roof with happiness if she laid an egg, but only one if my older girls is laying because of winter.

I’m sorry you are dealing with ascites, I have dealt with plenty. I have found that a little bit of treatment makes the liquid completely disappear if you are willing to try it...:
I mix
Cinnamon powder
Apple cider vinegar
Oregano
Water
Together and give the ascites hen 8 mL
I also give lily of the desert aloe detox at 8 mL
I give both every day. I found that it is rather hard to get the hen to take that much so I will mix it with Kaytees baby bird food to help give them a little boost of food and make sure they get it all. My hen developed a very large abdomen to where I couldn’t move it and after giving it to her, the liquid went completely away for two months. It has helped me with four other hens as well.

I really don’t think it will do any harm to try and it has helped me immensely with all of my hens who developed ascites and gave them months of comfort with no liquid.

Whew! It's been CHAOS here (family issues). Sorry for the very late reply.

Zinnia is hanging in there. The vet said she seems to be retaining water, but not a lot, so he didn't want to try to drain it. Her symptoms are the same, but she stopped limping. If she worsens, he'll do an ultrasound.

I hope your girl is better than Zinnia. I would be through the roof with happiness if she laid an egg, but only one if my older girls is laying because of winter.
Unfortunately, she died yesterday. I am still wondering what the problem she had. She did not eat or drink for about 10 days, we fed her with a syringe, gave Corid, put her water epsom salt, calciums, electrolytes, etc. even tried to drain water if she might have ascites (belly was kind of swollen, but no water came out). She had lost a significant weight.
It was like a pet for my daughter and she is very upset.

Unfortunately, she died yesterday. I am still wondering what the problem she had. She did not eat or drink for about 10 days, we fed her with a syringe, gave Corid, put her water epsom salt, calciums, electrolytes, etc. even tried to drain water if she might have ascites (belly was kind of swollen, but no water came out). She had lost a significant weight.
It was like a pet for my daughter and she is very upset.
I am so sorry for you and your daughter. I wish our birds lived longer and weren't so susceptible to illness. Breaks my heart..
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom