Not zoned for chickens

ejstoner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
I have had chickens in my yard, approx 1/2 acre, for a good 20 years and have had no problems. I only keep hens.Last fall, I got a call from the town zoning persons secretary, and was told that there was a complaint, and I was not allowed to keep chickens. I live in warrensburg ny, a small upstate community. I originally think that the law was put in place to keep people from having horses in the town limits,even though there a quite a few that are grandfathered in who still keep horses. Anyway the ordinance lumps all animals as livestock-excluding dogs and cats. I called a small town newspaper and explained to them my situation. The editor came over the house and I told him how I am an organic gardener and the chickens are an integral part of my plan. In addition, I explained how the tainted food supply and recent salmonella cases even further made me want to be more in control of at least part of my food supply.He took pictures of me holding a hen,and we decided not to persue the story untill we saw the way it was going be handled. The zoning inspector came by, and asked why I had not gotten rid of the chickens. I told him that I was not getting rid of them, and if he wished to persue it further, I would have the story printed and start a petition to have the law rescinded. He left, and came back twenty minutes later and told me that if he came back and didnt see any chickens the story would be closed,no questions asked. So thats what happened, yet I feel I should have persued the issue,to right an injustice!!!

So if the zoning guy comes back and doesn't see the chickens, he won't try to make you get rid of them? Can you put them in the garage the next time he comes back? Or was it the newspaper guy who told you the "story would be closed"? Anyway, I hope you get to keep them...Good luck!

He came back, and they were gone< so he didnt come back again, even though he knew I was going to keep them. The lady who complained, after asking everyone in the neighborhood and finally finding out who it was, said that when she went out on her back porch tohave her coffee they cackled quite loudly. She said that she wouldnt complain anymore so that was that. I still would like to persue getting the law changed. Every day some of our libertys are taken away. Sometimes you dont even know that they are gone untill its too late!!!How about the right to farm law.

You mention the right to farm law? I'm wondering if that will go with our city commissioners when we go to the city meeting this tuesday. what do you think?
idunno.gif

I truly believe in moderation-- which is the way city ordinances should be written. As far as going before the town board, I recently found out that it costs money to go before them with any proposals-- Is that democracy? If you have the cash, you can state your case , If not see ya. What are you going in front of the city commisioners for?

I am trying to see if I am able to keep my chickens in my backyard. I was out tonight getting signatures on a petition we have written up. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Come to find out, most people think its ridiculous that you can't have chickens in your backyard! The
ACO told us to go to the meeting this Tuesday, 17th and give it a shot, and thats exactly what I'm going to do.

Who is the ACO? Anyway, I think what you are doing is highly commendable!! I think I will try the petition route, even though I hate to open a "pandoras box" so to speak. No one is bothering me now, but tommorow things could change.How many people were against it, versus those for it?

Back
Top Bottom