Nothing for chickens to scratch at!

1 of my outside runs is only 12 foot square and it's bare dirt. Once a month I take a shovel, over turn the ground in 4 areas. Chickens love to scratch in it and take dirt baths. Only other thing I do is throw in treats for them to eat. Adding materials( straw, wood chips etc.) that will flatten and hold moisture is asking for trouble unless you can get them to scratch at all of it every few days.

Even if the OP has flown away good information for us newbies and maybe some not so newbies with questions. No chicks till next year. I'm thinking lots of garden scraps, some straw, grass clippings. I never use chemicals on my yard. I understand the issue with hay is using moldy hay.

I have gotten into the habit of taking a "chicken bucket" with me when working in the garden. Dandelions, purple dead-nettle, etc. all go in the bucket along with any grubs I encounter. I will dump the bucket in a pile in the run. By evening, they've completely sorted through it. Occasionally I will give them a shovel of compost from the compost pile. That's always full of creepy crawly num-nums.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I am learning and looking forward to contribute as soon as I know something.

Runs are full of grass at the moment. Do I let the chicks mow it in a month when they are added to it or clean it up? I'm leaning towards, let it grow. Chicks are due for delivery tomorrow. Seems my girls (wife & daughters) are all excited about having babies around.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone who commented. I am learning and looking forward to contribute as soon as I know something.

Runs are full of grass at the moment. Do I let the chicks mow it in a month when they are added to it or clean it up? I'm leaning towards, let it grow. Chicks are due for delivery tomorrow. Seems my girls (wife & daughters) are all excited about having babies around.

Cheers
. My 5 girls had a 5oo square foot run bare of grass in about 2 1/2 months. I thought a hundred square feet per chicken was enough to keep it green. Not! GC

Good to know. It also explains why people move the chicken tractor so often. Keeping grass! LOL

I'm learning & having a good time.

As a newbie I'm loving the suggestions here as my run will be 8x10 and chicks will be confined unless I'm in the yard due to possible predators and my 2 crazy pups who think any critter is to play with roughly.

Back
Top Bottom