Noticed some runny poop...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, May 26, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Maybe like anything else, their poop isn't always the same, but thought I'd ask. There was some brown runny poop in the coop today. My wife chose to feed them leftover corn that had previously been in some pretty buttery liquid. She spooned the corn kernels out of the tupperware and put it in the ground. That was about 24 hours ago. Also, because my leghorns haven't laid in a week (after probably laying what was already in production when I got them), having read about it in another thread, fed them some crushed red peppers to induce laying again. Is it likely one of these two things caused the soup butt? Or should I be worried....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:What gritsar said above...and it sounds like you just got them. The stress of moving can sometimes put them out of production for a couple of weeks or more.

4. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yeah, very new to this. Great poop link! I believe you are right, they are Ceacal. So much to learn...I'll be saving that poop page to my favorites! Hahaha!

Thanks again [​IMG]

5. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I noticed this today as well...I didn't realize you had to monitor poo too [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:IMO, monitoring their poo is the one of the best ways to get indicators of flock health; along with feather condition and the brightness/clearness of their eyes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by