Noticing a pattern (Pullet)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Ever since I sold 2 of our Buff Orpington pullets, our single BO pullet has begun to sleep on top of the coop. Before I sold her buddies, they all slept inside the coop huddled together.
During the day, she follows our 1 yr old Buff Orpington hen around the yard. She will also follow the dominant hen(Black sex link) when they free range.

Should I be concerned?

So, you sold her companions, and now she's hanging out with new companions?
Yes.
I didn't want to sell the other two but one of them was attacking our mother hens & their chicks. So I sold them together so the mean one didn't go alone. The family that bought them said that their rooster is keeping her in line.

To clarify, please, is this five-month old the only one left of her peer group, meaning those she was brooded with? If so, she's now without any allies. This means she will require time to adjust to being without her support group. It makes a chicken shy about joining flock activities and it undermines self confidence.

To clarify, please, is this five-month old the only one left of her peer group, meaning those she was brooded with? If so, she's now without any allies. This means she will require time to adjust to being without her support group. It makes a chicken shy about joining flock activities and it undermines self confidence.
Yes, those were the ones she grew up with. They were all bought together as chicks.
She also grew up with our two ducks which she can see in the yard right next to them.

Unless she is permitted to associate with the ducks, she will continue to feel alone and without any allies. This is the reason for her reluctance to roost in the coop in my opinion based on experience.

Unless she is permitted to associate with the ducks, she will continue to feel alone and without any allies. This is the reason for her reluctance to roost in the coop in my opinion based on experience.
She can associate with our female duck Duchess but I can't allow Colonel around her because he and Duchess are 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom