1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

November 16th Hatch Day - 5 hatched - DONE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MichiganWoods, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd start a separate post for my second batch of eggies, so if others are hatching the same day they could post here too.

[​IMG]

These eggs came from friends of my in-laws who raise their own chickens. They never hatch their eggs (they seem to think it's too hard to do) and always buy day old chicks from a hatchery. These had been popped into their fridge for a few days, so there was no guarantee that they would be viable. I did at least call and ask if they had a rooster. If they didn't, I would have just eaten the eggs. But they had a rooster, so there was a chance! After letting them warm up to room temperature for about 12-16 hours, into the bator they went. I have no idea what breeds these are, though I suspect the green and blue are EE's. [​IMG]

After the first candling, I tossed two eggs. One was cracked, and the other was very very thin shelled and chalky feeling, unlike the other smooth eggs.

Yesterday I verified that there is development going on!

My blue egg has a set of twins in it. I've marked the shell on either side just underneath where I found the twins. Twin #1 and Twin #2. Today I saw veining in the green egg and the pink egg. I can't see what's going on in the brown eggs yet, but one of them is definitely clear with nothing going on. I believe it's a wind egg. The others, their yolks have all spread out, which leads me to believe that they are developing. It's the same phenomenon I noticed with my first batch of eggs. The other set of twins is in that gigantic brown egg. If ever there was a set of twins to have a chance of surviving after hatch, it has to be them. There is so much room in that egg that I have high hopes they don't overcrowd each other. I can already see that the veining in the blue twins has started to intertwine with the veins from the opposite chick.

They are on day 6 today.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I hope you left the clear one , I set 2 pullet eggs from my young BO, at Day 5 they were clear, I candled again last night, Day 8 and they both are beginning to vein. I would leave it until at least Day 8 or 10 to be sure.

Good Luck with the twins, it is generally hard for them to survive, but you never know.

3. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:

4. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yep I left the clear egg. I'm not removing eggs any unless I don't see development or detect very obvious blood rings at about day 10.

I realize twins have a hard time hatching. I've been reading those threads. Has anyone ever successfully hatched twin chicks that survive into adulthood?

Hello, MissJames. [​IMG]

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Glad you left it. I was going to toss my 2 last night if they hadn't shown anything.
    I don't know about twins. I think Cyn, Speckledhen came the closest to actually having them hatch and survive. There is an old thread on here somewhere.
    But as in anything reading everything you can before hand is probably the best you can do.

6. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    michigan I have got twins to day 20 the prog is if they survive they cant seem to get out of the egg on their own. they dont have anything to push against but each other. I tried to help my out and was almost successful. They lived for a few hours but then died. I am sure it has been done somewhere but alot have tried and alot have failed. I just decided I wasnt going to do it anymore I am just to soft hearted. I have a hen that lays double yolkers all the time so now hers are eaters. I just tried to many times and failed. I have heard of one making it though, Good luck I hope you succeed.

7. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well here's the interesting thing. I can definitely see one embryo in that huge egg, but not really a second one. I see the second yolk, yes, but somehow I don't think it was fertile. That, or the other embryo is hiding in the center of the egg!

8. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    OOH OOH OOH!!!!
    Who laid the "lavender" egg? (second from right, back row)
    We just had or first egg that is IDENTICAL to that, and we have no idea who laid it. Our girls are all different breeds, and some of them we haven't identified.

9. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:FWIW, one of my Buff Orpington pullets lays eggs that look EXACTLY like that. It's like there is a very thin layer of white film over the regular light-brown egg, so they look for all the world like they're pink.

There are four of them in the picture below, and you can pick them out because they are the ones that look "mauve." Three are right up against the basket wire, in the front.

[​IMG]

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Oh, I'm totally going to have to get a basket for collecting eggs--yours is so cute, Ninjapoodles. I used my shirt front more times than I can count this summer, but that won't work so well in the winter. Of course, then I have pockets. Holding three eggs in my hand and trying to lock our gate at the same time can be a struggle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by