November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I wouldn't keep adding eggs into the incubator once you have a set going. Where it gets tricky is the last 3 days of incubation and the humidity requirements for the eggs will be different. People do it, but I wouldn't chance it. What you can do is collect eggs for a week and then set them all at the same time. Good luck

He'll prolly bring me eggs once a week because of our work schedule. So I could add a few each Friday? Or could I just eat the eggs he brings me? I don't know the "rules" for how long an egg can set warm and still be good to eat or hatch.

Hi rtho88

If you want to constantly hatch every week it's best to have two incubators, one for hatching and one for growing.

It takes about 21 days from when an egg goes into the incubator to when it hatches, but after 18 days, conditions need to change, the egg needs to stop being turned and the humidity needs to be increased. If you have just one lot in there that are the same age, that's easy to manage, but it's impossible to have two different humidity percentages in the same incubator.

You can either have two incubators with different conditions, or you have one incubator with the same age eggs in there.

Non shipped eggs (like yours) can be kept for about 10 or so days before the odds of growing diminish. They can be refrigerated under the right conditions (temp and turned etc) and keep for a bit longer if needed, but that too can diminish the hatching odds

I would advise, to fill the incubator once and see how you go, then tree weeks later, give it a scrub and have another go.

Might sounds silly, but I also hope your friend has a rooster lol, need one for this to work but I am sure you have already thought of that.

Finally, get a good hygrometer and thermometer, makes this incubating stuff much easier in the long run.

Hi rtho88

If you want to constantly hatch every week it's best to have two incubators, one for hatching and one for growing.

It takes about 21 days from when an egg goes into the incubator to when it hatches, but after 18 days, conditions need to change, the egg needs to stop being turned and the humidity needs to be increased. If you have just one lot in there that are the same age, that's easy to manage, but it's impossible to have two different humidity percentages in the same incubator.

You can either have two incubators with different conditions, or you have one incubator with the same age eggs in there.

Non shipped eggs (like yours) can be kept for about 10 or so days before the odds of growing diminish. They can be refrigerated under the right conditions (temp and turned etc) and keep for a bit longer if needed, but that too can diminish the hatching odds

I would advise, to fill the incubator once and see how you go, then tree weeks later, give it a scrub and have another go.

Might sounds silly, but I also hope your friend has a rooster lol, need one for this to work but I am sure you have already thought of that.

Finally, get a good hygrometer and thermometer, makes this incubating stuff much easier in the long run.
ditto

My little malpositioned Marans mix is still hanging in there. Not done absorbing but still alive
fl.gif
fl.gif
pop.gif

how's the flock today?

I canded again last night for the last time today I'd day 19 the chick is still alive and kicking but still has alot of yolk left to absorb as I can se it by the air pocket when I candel do you think it will be absorbed by Sunday?

Of the 11 eggs, 6 made it to lockdown. 1 hatched last night. #2 pipped last night, zipped overnight but wasn't out this morning so I assisted. Not sure my humidity was high enough. Hoping to have more pip today. Too bad I can't be there to watch!

Back
Top Bottom