November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Very pretty..................
big_smile.png
Thank you! I think so, too! But my favorite part about him is his personality! I worried so much because his 2 siblings died during hatch and I couldn't get another baby ANYWHERE locally at that time. I thought he would be depressed, end up dying from loneliness. Instead he decided he was a part of the flock that lives in the HOUSE. lol I don't know what he will do when he gets big enough to go in the chicken house. Heck, he's probably big enough now, but I haven't had the heart to throw him out yet! LOL I keep thinking, it's just so COLD! I've bee slowly acclimating him to the temperatures with a little time outside each day, sleeping in a cooler room, weaned him off all lights and heat sources, unless you count cuddling. lol

Max stayed home alone for the first time. Well, not really alone. I left my dog, Daisy to babysit. Max was upset with me but just fine when I returned. He still uses his heating pad like a blankie. And if it isn't on and warm he pecks at it. He gets too hot and pants when he sits on it but he can't go long without his blankie. He is so silly. Since his heating pad is tiger striped, I bought him a real blanket that is tiger striped. I am hoping he will switch to it instead of getting over heated on the heating pad. Here he is using his new one. Still hasn't given up the other yet. MAx with his blankie. Tiny baby Max. Afternoon nap. Max helping keep the eggs warm when the power went out. Who shrank my blankie?
I genuinely LOL'd at the "who shrank my blankie?". Max is too entertaining. :love

@MrsJenSmith2007
What a gorgeous guy! Yeah, I agree, although he has a stocky hen-body right now, he's a he. Also, I'm not too familiar with genetics, but I believe in first-gen crosses between a barred and non-barred, only males will be barred. Anywho, you should post him in the "mixed breed pics" threads, for other cross breeders to admire. :D

Last edited:
Anyways, my latest attempt was a resounding flop. I've been hatching out chicks from my own salmon faverolle bantam trio fine, at 6 now and I think I'll leave it there for now. Pics below! But my shipped button quail eggs, out of 16 eggs, got a 0% hatch. Only two developed at all, and of those, one quit first few days and one made it all the way but turned out like Frankenchicky (anyone remember?) and didn't hatch. :( Oh well. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
@ShayBaby - Thank you! That's kinda what I was thinking...he will grow outta that stocky build. Also, he has some pretty long legs for a hen. lol I didn't realize there was such a thread, but I will be posting my baby threre now for sure! :)

this morning i had two pips and now i have 4 new chicks that just got put into the brooder with the others so i have 6 chicks now. i put 24 eggs in and have only got 6 but all but 4 of the eggs were from newly lating girls so some werent fertile...will give the rest of the eggs in the batore a couple more days and then i'll shut it down and pack it away

So tomorrow is day 21 for the silkie eggs I picked up in GA on our honeymoon. We have all 5 of our kids here for Thanksgiving and I'm so thankful we get to share this with them! Normally my husbands kids are with their mom in MD so this is going to be a great holiday!

Back
Top Bottom