November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Yes. BUT I can NOT get my bator to run with normal humidity. It has been running like 16% or lower!! I know it shouldn't go below 25%. I am just testing right now, no eggs in yet. Haven't installed my dimmer switch yet, but think I will have to do that the next day or so. I ran it overnight with a 60 watt and woke up to a bator that was 120 degrees plus!! I used a 60 the entire last hatch with no problem, so I guess it's just due to the dry hatch part. I changed out my bulb to 40 watt again and left it running today while at work. I will check it when I get home and hope that temp is lower and humidity is higher! My room humidity is about 50% and I have 4 vent holes, completely uncovered . I am going to try placing a piece of damp sponge in the bator tonight and see if that helps with humidity. SO...I'm getting there but still haven't gotten the bator running how I want it to be. I have some eggs on the way (YAY!!!) so I really want to have it perfect and tested for a while before setting them. Since they are shipped eggs, I should allow them to rest a day or 2 before setting, right? This is my first attempt at shipped eggs. Thanks for your help!

Just wondering, how big is your incubator inside compared to mine? if you remember from the pics? mine holds 1 tray of 42 eggs. I was thinking about our sponge to incubator size ratio :)

Shipped eggs - yes, let them rest in a carton with the big end up for 24hrs before setting. 65-75 degree room, 50-60% humidity.
There are further special instructions for detached air cells, hopefully that isn't necessary!! candle when they arrive
Also - when you go to set them, don't put them in cold. I usually warm the eggs up over 8 hours by bringing them into progressively warmer rooms of the house til the eggs are about 80 or 85, then they go in the incubator.

I also just ordered a copious amount of coturnix quail eggs! They seem to only be sold in mass quantities. Anyone hatch them before??? Should be here Wednesday

I have 65 Tibetan Coturnix off Ebay, and 45 Jumbo Pharoah Coturnix in two incubators right now, due on the 16th. My first shot at incubating, using two Brinsea 20 Octagons, 1 advanced, 1 ECO. They are outside in sheds, and it has been getting cold at night, but they seem to regulate their temp. Hope this setup works, as DW will NOT allow incubating/hatching in the house. I will post my results!

Quote: when you set the eggs the humidity will regulate according to the evaporation of the eggs...during a dry hatch if it's up to 45% it's fine....but if it's higher sit a small bowl of rice in it....if it goes below 25 when the eggs start evaporating then add a small amount of water at a time until it's over 25....until lock down....then anything over 45% is fine....45% to 65%...if it goes higher as they hatch it'll be fine
I packed the eggs in egg cartons....as tight as I possibly could so I'm really hoping they aren't being handled too rough....if you leave them in the egg carton for at least 12 hours you should be good to go...
there are 3 that are tucked in!!

let me know how they look when they arrive!

I have 65 Tibetan Coturnix off Ebay, and 45 Jumbo Pharoah Coturnix in two incubators right now, due on the 16th. My first shot at incubating, using two Brinsea 20 Octagons, 1 advanced, 1 ECO. They are outside in sheds, and it has been getting cold at night, but they seem to regulate their temp. Hope this setup works, as DW will NOT allow incubating/hatching in the house. I will post my results!
Wow, can't wait to see pics!
I just have a really basic incubator-- I think the most basic they sell-- the still air Farm Innovations. Only planned on using it for one hatch, but I was hooked and it's been running pretty much non-stop since I got it in June. I added the egg turner after the first couple hatches.

Your wife would hate it here-- I have the incubator permenantly displayed on my formal dining room table haha! And our downstairs bathroom we never really use the bathtub has become my brooder until the chicks go to the transition coop outside!

Big boy is getting some crazy feathering in (Cochin x Delaware mix).

The Cochin x d'Uccle mixes are getting mom's feathering, of course.

And the Cochin x Silkie mixes are getting those nice, sleek black feathers. Along with odd numbered toes...

Last edited:
when you set the eggs the humidity will regulate according to the evaporation of the eggs...during a dry hatch if it's up to 45% it's fine....but if it's higher sit a small bowl of rice in it....if it goes below 25 when the eggs start evaporating then add a small amount of water at a time until it's over 25....until lock down....then anything over 45% is fine....45% to 65%...if it goes higher as they hatch it'll be fine
So what you're saying is it's ok to start my eggs with the humidity this low, and it will climb on it's own once the eggs are in there? Sorry if I sound simple, I just SO want to do this right so I can have a good hatch!!

I packed the eggs in egg cartons....as tight as I possibly could so I'm really hoping they aren't being handled too rough....if you leave them in the egg carton for at least 12 hours you should be good to go...
there are 3 that are tucked in!!

let me know how they look when they arrive!
Yay!!! Thank you!! I'm so excited!!! Can't wait to see what hatches! Just out of curiosity, what kind of chickens do you have?? I think I remember there are a LOT of different kids in your flock. LOL I really don't care what they are! I love the mystery of crossbreads! So much fun! Just wondering so I will be able to make educated guesses. LOL The bator has been running steady at 102 degrees ever since I swapped out to the 40 watt bulb. It shocked me to see what a HUGE difference in temp humidity can make! Trying the dry hatch means temp runs WAY higher with the same bulb! Like, over 120 degrees with the bulb I ran last time! Just working on the humidity and I will be good to go. My daughter is sick, so I will be home all day tomorrow in case the eggs come. That way they can get in the house and let them rest the 12 hours. We, like most the country, are expecting NASTY weather starting tomorrow, so I'm glad they won't end up sitting outside all day. Hope they arrive tomorrow or the next day so they don't have to wait at the post office on Sunday. Can't wait!!!
fl.gif
yesss.gif

Quote: the ones I sent you are....buff orps, new Hampshire red, rhode island red and black sexlink...the roosters are either a blue and green partridge brahma or a dark brahma!

I don't have any of them segregated right now.....I do have to say that I've hatch from this group several times and they make really good looking birds!
big_smile.png

in the spring I'll separate my breeds

I candled my eggs tonight they all look great...except the lavender orps...only 3 out of the 12 are going...I emailed the breeder that she needs to check fertility...the blue orps are all a go AND the 3 candy corn polish are dancing around in there!!!

next Friday Araucanas!!!

Back
Top Bottom