November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Came home to 4 more in my first batch of quail, so 31/50 have hatched in that group and this is the end of day 19.

My second group was set in a Brinsea Eco Octagon 20 and is only 50 eggs (mostly home bred) and was set a day later. The temp and humidity have been consistently a bit lower being that it was in the tool shed, not the brooder house (electric capacity issues.). Anyway, came home to 24 very healthy chicks, all born in the last 10 hours! I think this is closer to the "dry hatch" method and it seems to have consolidated the hatch a little better, but delayed it a bit as this is the end of Day 18 on those. I'll post pictures later, but after losing a couple weak chicks, I have a total of 49 little "bugs" running around the brooder...

Came home to 4 more in my first batch of quail, so 31/50 have hatched in that group and this is the end of day 19.

My second group was set in a Brinsea Eco Octagon 20 and is only 50 eggs (mostly home bred) and was set a day later. The temp and humidity have been consistently a bit lower being that it was in the tool shed, not the brooder house (electric capacity issues.). Anyway, came home to 24 very healthy chicks, all born in the last 10 hours! I think this is closer to the "dry hatch" method and it seems to have consolidated the hatch a little better, but delayed it a bit as this is the end of Day 18 on those. I'll post pictures later, but after losing a couple weak chicks, I have a total of 49 little "bugs" running around the brooder...

Would you sell some quail eggs the beginning of January?

Last edited:
So, I have good news, bad news, somewhat encouraging news, and more good news....

The good news is my little guy with splay leg apparently hated the band-aid so bad he kicked it off right away and the splay went away! Go figure.

The bad news is I had to put down the little guy with wry neck. He was isolated and I was feeding him with a dropper, plus the vitamins, but he was in rough shape this morning.

The encouraging news is that the other one who couldn't lift his head seems to be improving. He's moving around some and taking the dropper pretty aggressively. So, we will see.

The other good news was that I had two more healthy hatch overnight. So, I am up to 27 hatch out of 60, 25 healthy, and one being nursed.

my baby last summer, i hand feed her for a week, but her neck was broke, the sad thing is i think i did it, i tryed to help her out of shell, never will i do that again, it hirt me when i got up in the morning ans she had passed to chicken heaven.

I was walking past the incubator and heard chirping...looked and an ameraucana chick, not due until Saturday, has hatched, I think she was a little stuck in the cup of the egg turner....anyway I candled the rest and moved them to the hatcher....sadly I think my hatch rate on them will be disappointing...I got spoiled my last batch almost every chick hatched....we shall see
but she is a little precious....early bird!!

Back
Top Bottom