Novice Chick Mom

sdhowsare

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
Iowa City, IA
Hello Hello!
My sister and I have been raising chickens for two years and currently have 10 hens and 9 chicks. We have a variety of breeds including 2 Buff Orpington, 4 Easter Egger, 2 Olive Egger, 4 Lavender Americana, 3 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 Black Star, 2 Cuckoo Maran. We live in the country and have 4 acres for them to run around and explore. Living in the country has given difficulties such as hawks and other predators that have gotten a few of our hens. When we first got our chickens we also got 4 guineas. The guineas were very aggressive to our hens and very loud, attracting other predators. My sister and I thought we knew everything we needed when we got chickens, but our flock continues to prove us wrong daily. It is a joy to sit in the yard with them and have them "help" with the gardening. I am glad to have found this group so I have other chicken tenders to reach out to when my flock throws another curve ball.

Hello Hello!
My sister and I have been raising chickens for two years and currently have 10 hens and 9 chicks. We have a variety of breeds including 2 Buff Orpington, 4 Easter Egger, 2 Olive Egger, 4 Lavender Americana, 3 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 Black Star, 2 Cuckoo Maran. We live in the country and have 4 acres for them to run around and explore. Living in the country has given difficulties such as hawks and other predators that have gotten a few of our hens. When we first got our chickens we also got 4 guineas. The guineas were very aggressive to our hens and very loud, attracting other predators. My sister and I thought we knew everything we needed when we got chickens, but our flock continues to prove us wrong daily. It is a joy to sit in the yard with them and have them "help" with the gardening. I am glad to have found this group so I have other chicken tenders to reach out to when my flock throws another curve ball.
Hey, you seem to have a very nice flock! living in the country is a bit different because like you said, there are a lot of predators. :welcome

Back
Top Bottom