Novice Chicken Owner

Whats one thing you wish you knew more about when you first got started raising chickens?

• Housing (Coop/Run)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Feeding (Watering/Food)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Health (Maintenance/Care)

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Alwaysblessed03

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
Southeast VA
Hello, All! I am so excited to be a part of this amazing community. My husband and I are excited to start raising chickens soon. A dear friend is giving us her coop and 6 birds (4 chickens and 2 ducks). We are in the process of browsing run plans and ideas to get our property ready. As of now, we don’t know much about raising birds.

We have woods surrounding our property on 3 sides, and many hawks, opossums, skunks, owls, foxes, pack rats, and even snakes in the area. Keeping our girls safe will be crucial!

We are also in the process of learning many homesteading skills, including growing as much of our own food as we can. Hopefully we will have more raised beds ready this coming spring. We just had our first child (little girl) this past summer, so I’m looking forward to getting back into many of our outdoor himesteading goals (including building a compost area) once again.

I’m so excited to learn from so many others who have years of knowledge and experience to share!

-Sarah

Hi Sarah and welcome to BYC.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

byc1-chicken-feed1.gif

What a great way to get started with raising poultry, and smart to do research before your birds arrive. I try to practice some homesteading as well, only in the suburbs... garden beds, compost, fresh eggs! I love it! If you have any specific questions, you can always visit the forum page, choose a category and start a thread.

Don't forget to visit the duck forum!

Back
Top Bottom