Novice from Arizona

Welcome from Indiana!

We are new to chickens this year and loving every min of it :) this is a great place for advise and you may be able to find someone near to you that has chicks.

Hello and Welcome MerryRobin!!

I too am from AZ and new to chickens and do container/ raised bed gardening..I like your idea about letting your chickens into the garden for a bit every day.
Have you narrowed down what breeds you'd like to get? The hot temperatures of Phoenix make for roasted chickens so I keep reading the Forum here learning how to avoid losing chickens to the heat. The Arizona section under WhereAm I in the Forum has great info for hot weather and keeping the chickens cooler.

Chick

Hello from Kansas, MerryRobin, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Love the user name! Good luck with your chickens - I know keeping them cool can be a chore!

Sumi,
Someone else mentioned he kept different generations and diffrerent breeds apart. It made me wonder if you could ever introduce a younger batch into the coop. Only if we breed one of the hens and she was looking after her own? How will the other hens accept the chicks? Will I have to keep the mother hen seperate with her chicks?

Greetings from a fellow Arizonan and
welcome-byc.gif
You can keep different breeds and different ages together. I put fertile eggs under broody hens in the spring. The broodies and their chicks intermingle with the other hens just fine, although they have their own separate place to sleep at night. When they get old enough they are either eaten, given away, or allowed to join the flock. I really haven't had any problems integrating them. Be sure to drop in and say hello on our BYC AZ thread where you can get great advice from locals on all things related and unrelated to raising chickens in the Sonoran Desert.

Welcome to BYC. My name is Selina and I also live in AZ. I have a house in Mesa and have 9 hens and 2 Frizzle Cochin chicks. We lost one hen this summer and I think it had to do with broodieness and the heat. I started with 8 chicks in January and chicken math took over before the month of January had concluded. I love my chickens for eggs and will be getting quail for meat here soon. I am also going to start a garden once I figure out how to get those birds to stay on their side of the yard :eek:) I just need a higher fence.

MerryRobin and Chick-A-BoomBoo

welcome-byc.gif

When my Broodies hatch their own chicks, there are no problems with integration. With older unrelated chickens it is recommended to wait until they are 14 weeks old. Guess it just depends on the dynamics of your flock. I have successfully added 10 week olds with very little scuffling. Critters are so unpredictable. Be sure and pick a day you can be around to intervene if necessary.

Both of you should drop by our AZ thread and say Hello!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens/30700

Hello AZBootsie! Thank you for the welcome and I will head over to the Az forum to say hello.
I know where Congress is. My folks lived there for ten years. Love the area and views.

Chick

Back
Top Bottom