Novice question about laying

LakewoodRN

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so, I inherited a coop and 2 full grown hens that were a year old. Both lay faithfully every day. Of course when this happened, my kids thought it would be fun to surprise mom by bringing home the $3 chicks from the hardware store (learning chicken math already). Fast forward. The chicks are doing well and are about 12-13 weeks now. I was under the impression that they wouldn't start laying till 18-20 weeks? This morning I got my usual eggs from my big girls but there was also 2 small broken eggs with soft shells elsewhere in my coop. Could these 2 little girls be trying to lay already? Seems unlikely but any other explanation?

IMG_1312.JPG These are the little girls, thanks everyone for the replies and links!

One of your older girls is probably having an "issue" with her laying skills.

Post a few pictures of your "new" chicks.

Pretty sure! I got them first week of April and they were still fuzzy so surely couldn't have been more than a week old. The barely have combs and waddles. Does Breed make a difference? They are Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Pretty sure! I got them first week of April and they were still fuzzy so surely couldn't have been more than a week old. The barely have combs and waddles. Does Breed make a difference? They are Silver Laced Wyandotte.
Some commercial lines are likely to lay earlier than heritage breeds, ditto sex-linked pullets from hatchery sources. I've never kept Wyandottes, but I'd doubt that beginning to lay at such a young age would be expected from that breed.

I've had Wynadottes, really don't think they are the ones laying. Those that I've had lay around 7 - 8 months. When you approach them, do they squat? Thinking one of your hen's having issues, what are you feeding them? Do they have access to oyster shells?

Back
Top Bottom