Novogen Brown...both pullets?

Abrockstar123

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Hi everyone! I’m a brand new chicken owner and excited to raise up and care for my new group of ladies. I have a pair of Novogen brown pullets that when we first purchased them, they were nearly identical with just a slight difference in wing coloring. Now that they are growing, I’m noticing some major differences (wing shape and tail feathers) and worried that one may actually be a cockerel and that’s why they are so different. I would love some insight as to what you all think if you wouldn’t mind looking at the photos.

First photo is the one I know for certain is a pullet. Second photo is of the one I’m not so sure about. Crossing my fingers that one is just a late bloomer but I’m not so sure anymore.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• DE5AF20B-A53A-4755-97B5-F07147859707.jpeg
    DE5AF20B-A53A-4755-97B5-F07147859707.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 2769D9DD-CF36-4F0D-9D69-AF93DC7CA48D.jpeg
    2769D9DD-CF36-4F0D-9D69-AF93DC7CA48D.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi everyone! I’m a brand new chicken owner and excited to raise up and care for my new group of ladies. I have a pair of Novogen brown pullets that when we first purchased them, they were nearly identical with just a slight difference in wing coloring. Now that they are growing, I’m noticing some major differences (wing shape and tail feathers) and worried that one may actually be a cockerel and that’s why they are so different. I would love some insight as to what you all think if you wouldn’t mind looking at the photos.

First photo is the one I know for certain is a pullet. Second photo is of the one I’m not so sure about. Crossing my fingers that one is just a late bloomer but I’m not so sure anymore.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Novogens are Sexlinks. Females are supposed to be red in feather color, males white/orange leakage on shoulders as adults.

I think that’s why I’m so stumped! When I looked into purchasing them I opted for sex links for that exact reason but is It normal for them to look so different? The wings on the second one and how far behind she is in developing is throwing me off. All the other pullets in my group have tail feathers and wings that are shaped like the pullet in the first photo. This one is completely different than all my other ladies.

I think that’s why I’m so stumped! When I looked into purchasing them I opted for sex links for that exact reason but is It normal for them to look so different? The wings on the second one and how far behind she is in developing is throwing me off. All the other pullets in my group have tail feathers and wings that are shaped like the pullet in the first photo. This one is completely different than all my other ladies.
Maybe they sold you boys. Idk.

Yeah I’m pretty certain that is not the case with the other three. I’m just simply looking for insight about why that one is developing differently and the chances of it being a cockerel despite it being a Novogen sex link. Thanks anyways.

I think they're both pullets if they are indeed red sexlinks. I'm not sure why one is feathering out slower than the other though. It could be anything from one just feathers out quicker to the slow feathering may be a failure to thrive chick. I think the best bet is to just wait and see what happens but I do believe they're both girls.

I think they're both pullets if they are indeed red sexlinks. I'm not sure why one is feathering out slower than the other though. It could be anything from one just feathers out quicker to the slow feathering may be a failure to thrive chick. I think the best bet is to just wait and see what happens but I do believe they're both girls.
Thank you! I keep going back and forth daily. One moment I think we’re all set and she’s a pullet and then the next I’m not sure. All of our ladies were bought from the local feed store so I always worry we may have been duped 🙈 but I shall continue the wait and see for now 😊

Back
Top Bottom