Now 10 days old ** PICS ** Which are which????

I dont doubt your experience with the feathers. I studied them some more this evening and according to the feathers it would seem the dark ones are the pullets. When I had checked their feathers day 1, I could see no difference in the wing feathers. Now the dark ones have definitely developed more feathers than the lighter ones. I'm just confused because EVERYONE has told me that the cockerels will take after the hen and the pullets the rooster, when mixing bloodlines. So according to that the green legged ones should be the cockerels. But they are the darker colored ones that have the more developed feathers, that according to the feather "rule" should be the pullets.
AAAAAAAHRG! I have to work on my patience!!
he.gif
th.gif
gig.gif

We all need to work on patience when it comes to these chicken obsessions we have.
Are these all supposed to be EEs? If so, that makes it even harder to figure out which is which.

Quote:
Yes patience is key but hard to do. Yes majority of the time crossing game fowl the hens dress the roos and roos dress the pullets, But keep in mind that this is only about average 75-80% of the time. If these are game fowl the feathering thing is not as affective as it would be on non-game poultry. It does look like you got the 10-15% chance but I would wait. Try to post some pics when they start to feather in the chest. Don't be surprised if the little roos start to feather there first.

My friend crossed an EE roo with a Leghorn hen and hatched out 6 chicks. The 3 with yellow legs were male and the 3 with green legs were female. So....good luck!

You also mention something about coloring. I have EE chipmunk chicks just like these right now. I've noticed that the cockerels have a lighter, less prominent back stripe than the pullets, and the pullets seem to have "black eyeliner" on.

The wait is awful, I know...usually a hatch is 50% male: 50% female.

Have fun!
frow.gif

Quote:
I should have mentioned before that these are not EE's They are actually Standard OEG's. The rooster is "BBRed with Yellow legs, and the hen is Brown Red in color with Green Legs but is actually 1/2 Grey.

Quote:
I should have mentioned before that these are not EE's They are actually Standard OEG's. The rooster is "BBRed with Yellow legs, and the hen is Brown Red in color with Green Legs but is actually 1/2 Grey.

Ok.....I got through talking with someone else that has more experience with Game Fowl.....He said that the yellow legged ones are stages. The green legged ones could vary. The green legged ones should be pullets...but...you could have a red with green legged stag...or...Grey stag with green legs. The yellow legged ones are the only ones for sure that will be stags.

Thanks! Actually, that is what it looks like to me. The yellow legged ones carry themselves higher than the green except for the lightest colored green legged one. And the darker chicks with the green legs are feathering out faster. So I guess the leg color follows the same sex parent while the feathering follows the opposite sex parent in this case. It will be interesting to find out that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom