Now I’m confused (food)

chickens arnt picky and can eat anything its not complicated .. if theyre laying at least mix in some layers ration to the cheap stuff, all there is to it .. any table scraps toss them to them, pretty much zero food goes in my garbage anymore, i even let them clean pots and pans before i wash them ..

Too much calcium is a danger to baby chicks, less so for teenagers - at 17 weeks, they can pretty much eat anything. A lot of folks start to transition to layer pellets anywhere between 12-16 weeks, depending on when they are buying feed, and there are differing opinions about that. I am curious about your comments on Purina feed - where I am located, the only all-flock formula Purina has is Flock Raiser, and it's all 20% protein.

What that means is with roosters not laying eggs, the calcium they consume from layer food has no job so it can effect their liver. So yes, get rid of the layer feed and feed everyone the flock raiser with the higher protein - it’s better for everyone. Then offer free choice oyster shell on the side for the hens to supplement their individual calcium needs. They will eat it when they need it, and the roosters will avoid it. They may peck at it out of curiosity and maybe eat some, but a little calcium is fine and won’t kill them. It’s consuming calcium on a regular basis that’s bad for roosters, which is why it shouldn’t be mixed in to the food they are offered.
FYI it's the kidneys, not the liver, potentially harmed by the higher percent of calcium.

I
Too much calcium is a danger to baby chicks, less so for teenagers - at 17 weeks, they can pretty much eat anything. A lot of folks start to transition to layer pellets anywhere between 12-16 weeks, depending on when they are buying feed, and there are differing opinions about that. I am curious about your comments on Purina feed - where I am located, the only all-flock formula Purina has is Flock Raiser, and it's all 20% protein.
guess your correct the Purina is 20% it’s the manna that is 16

Ok I’ve been feeding a mixture of all flock and layena both Purina foods to my mixed flock of 3 rooster and 17 hens between ages of 17 weeks and 2 years old, I now read a post that layer feed will kill my birds because calcium!?
If you're mixing All-flock and Layers feed 50/50 that equals 2.5% Calcium. Nothing to worry about.
Don't feed that mixture to chickens less than 16 weeks old though.
I feed a Non-medicated Starter Grower feed 18% to my Pullets and Hens with Oyster Shells separately. No boys in my 2 Flocks.
20201126_051320.jpg

GC

You should have oyster shell out there for your active layers anyway. Some hens will need it, as the lower calcium you are feeding by mixing the all flock with the layer feed may be insufficient for especially high producing hens.
The 16% protein layer feeds were formulated for high producing leghorn types in confinement, fed nothing else. Adding veggies and stuff lowers the already minimum protein levels in that diet, and changes what's a very carefully balanced diet.
Oyster shell on the side helps the birds who need it, and a base all flock diet, 18% to 20% protein, allows more room for feeding extras to the birds. Good for birds of all ages and both sexes, hens not laying, molting, everyone.
Mary

You should have oyster shell out there for your active layers anyway. Some hens will need it, as the lower calcium you are feeding by mixing the all flock with the layer feed may be insufficient for especially high producing hens.
The 16% protein layer feeds were formulated for high producing leghorn types in confinement, fed nothing else. Adding veggies and stuff lowers the already minimum protein levels in that diet, and changes what's a very carefully balanced diet.
Oyster shell on the side helps the birds who need it, and a base all flock diet, 18% to 20% protein, allows more room for feeding extras to the birds. Good for birds of all ages and both sexes, hens not laying, molting, everyone.
Mary
X 100 very well said

Back
Top Bottom