Now I am confused. Stupid turkey question. PICS ADDED

Damummis

Chickenista
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Mid-Coast
Do just the boys strut? I have noticed all but one of my 4 WM turkeys strutting. One for sure is a Tom, his snood thing is growing and he has the red lumpys on his neck. The others do not. They are all 4 weeks and the "for sure" Tom is trying to mount the other 3. THAT is what is confusing the heck out of me.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure one of my girls was strutting. When I asked, I was told the girls strut, too, but they don't hold it as long as the boys.

I don't think so. If so I have all toms. When mine get excited they all seem to do it. Isn't it cute.

I don't even try to sex them until they are older. 50% of the time I will be wrong. So you might as well flip a coin. I wish I could sex them earlier. I would dump alot of the toms before I put a ton of money into feeding them. I had a few I was sure where hens turn up to be toms even at 5 months old. That really sucks.

Oh yay, all hope is not lost.
smile.png

My poults are 3 weeks old about. I have a golden narri in my lastest hatch. It is for sure a female, they gene is sex-linked from what her parents were. This helps me sex mine easily. Her snood is very small and she has pretty small feet, compared to a red-bronze i have, very big snood and large feet. She has helped me guess on all of them, i have them noted and ill see how many i get right.

Our first five showed some physical differences at around eight weeks but you could tell male from female only by comparison with them side by side. The females' snoods were shorter, their faces were smaller and their general size fell behind that of the males. The boys spar and the girls ignore them. We didn't know how to vent sex so it was a matter of waiting. We had a bad ratio, though. Only two hens in that group!

We now have an additional four birds; one stag and three hens, all of them mature. The stag came along with his hen and she was playing hard to get. When the latest two arrived, he took to one of them in a big way. His original mate fanned and strutted and tried to get between them whenever they started their nonsense. The younger ones, having adopted the original hen as their mother, actually went on the attack. What a carry on!

I'm gonna go with BOYS on these 2
29708_tky_028.jpg

I need help sexing the following 2.

the next 2 pics are the same bird,
29708_tky2_001.jpg

29708_tky2_006.jpg

This is #4
29708_tky2_003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom