Now I am confused. Stupid turkey question. PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Damummis, May 21, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Do just the boys strut? I have noticed all but one of my 4 WM turkeys strutting. One for sure is a Tom, his snood thing is growing and he has the red lumpys on his neck. The others do not. They are all 4 weeks and the "for sure" Tom is trying to mount the other 3. THAT is what is confusing the heck out of me.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure one of my girls was strutting. When I asked, I was told the girls strut, too, but they don't hold it as long as the boys.

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I don't think so. If so I have all toms. When mine get excited they all seem to do it. Isn't it cute.

I don't even try to sex them until they are older. 50% of the time I will be wrong. So you might as well flip a coin. I wish I could sex them earlier. I would dump alot of the toms before I put a ton of money into feeding them. I had a few I was sure where hens turn up to be toms even at 5 months old. That really sucks.

4. Quote:Both males and females will strut. Once you raise them for a couple years you can see the difference between the sexes pretty early. The only way to sex them young is to vent sex them.

Steve

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Oh yay, all hope is not lost. [​IMG]

6. if you can get some pics up we might be able to help

Steve

7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Will do, tomorrow.

8. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    My poults are 3 weeks old about. I have a golden narri in my lastest hatch. It is for sure a female, they gene is sex-linked from what her parents were. This helps me sex mine easily. Her snood is very small and she has pretty small feet, compared to a red-bronze i have, very big snood and large feet. She has helped me guess on all of them, i have them noted and ill see how many i get right.

9. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Songster

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Our first five showed some physical differences at around eight weeks but you could tell male from female only by comparison with them side by side. The females' snoods were shorter, their faces were smaller and their general size fell behind that of the males. The boys spar and the girls ignore them. We didn't know how to vent sex so it was a matter of waiting. We had a bad ratio, though. Only two hens in that group!

We now have an additional four birds; one stag and three hens, all of them mature. The stag came along with his hen and she was playing hard to get. When the latest two arrived, he took to one of them in a big way. His original mate fanned and strutted and tried to get between them whenever they started their nonsense. The younger ones, having adopted the original hen as their mother, actually went on the attack. What a carry on!

10. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I'm gonna go with BOYS on these 2
    [​IMG]

I need help sexing the following 2.

the next 2 pics are the same bird,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is #4
    [​IMG]