Now I have more question pg 7

Lysol is a pesticide. I have quit using it altogether. Bleach and water work well. Vinegar and baking soda (NOT TOGETHER) are good cleaning agents.

And I agree, check your temps early in the morning.

Well I am up at 5 so I will check then, or should I get up and 4 and check? I figured that Lysol would have too many other chemicals to use it I will use bleach water. Let me know if anybody has a humidity pan I could get from them, please. I will look for a pan that fits today also. The temp is at 99.5 should I raise it or leave it alone. This is empty will the eggs bring the temp down?

if thats the temp it stops at, even eggs in there wont bring it down ,, eggs will actually hold some of the heat,, and 99.5 is what its suppose to be,, i will look for a pan for ya
wink.png

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it a bunch. My kids are going to love this and hopefully I will hatch lots of chicks!

so far sounds good yes humidity is controlled by surface area so a bigger pan will help and if it gets to hight then you just have to cover it some. Hint a deep pan does not have to be filled as often

You can find an old pan at a yard sale if you ever go to them or thrift store too. You can also use a gallon ice cream bucket. The eggs WILL bring the temp down for a while after you set them, they have to get heated throughout before it comes back up. DO NOT adjust temp after eggs are set, you should have the temp where you want it before you set eggs.

Well I just went and got a second thermo/hydrometer to make sure that it is reading properly. I also read that you should have your probe touching the incubator. which mine is so I am going to fix that, somehow. I also bought a aluminum square cake pan for the water and some sponges. Well see how that makes a difference.

Okay I have a $12 accurite and a $7 springfield and they are reading completely different! What is the temperature range that I need to keep it at? I am getting frustrated with these thermometers!!!

One is reading 39% humidity and the other is 49%!

Last edited:
Well I think that the accurite might be broke. Even in my house, outside, everywhere reads 39-42% humidity. That's also what it read in the incubator, I am going to take it back and exchange it, I just don't know if I should try another one like it or a different one.

Back
Top Bottom