Now I have more to worry about besides feral cats..coyotes.

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
At about 9 in the morning I hear my mom calling so come quick because there was something in the yard. I ran out as soon as I could and there is this dog in our yard, at first we thought it was a shepherd, but it was deffiently a coyote. A healthy one too :mad: We started yelling at it and it ran into the woods, I got my cattle dog and went into the woods to scare it, plus to get her sent around. Well as I was walking through the woods I see feathers...everywhere. I went back to the yard and there were even feathers near the coop, but the weird thing is we didn't even them screetch. And I reliezed my buff laced polish rooster, my favorite bird, and my only BLP rooster, was gone. Out of all my chickens he just had to pick that one, I lost my other buff rooster a few months ago, so now I think I know where all our chickens have been going. I went in to go check on our sheep and he wouldn't even move, normally he out in the morning by the fence waiting for his food, and I found him in the barn, scared out of his mind. What will keep coyotes away? And I don't only have to worry about the chickens and ducks, but we also have sheep, dogs and cats. There has to be something we can do to get rid of it, and are coyotes normally out during the day, or is that a sign of rabies?

RIP-you will be missed.
chesterandbirds200.jpg

Last edited:
Coyotes can and do hunt in the day. You may have to shoot it or call a trapper. They are not easily discouraged. It knows where the free lunch is now and will be back.

Awww, poor roo, what a shame he had to go that way. Murphy's Law of Chicken Depredation says that your favorite birds always get taken first.

I'm in South Florida and we don't have coyotes...yet. Am I reading the abbreviation correctly, you're in CT=Connecticut? I wouldn't expect them there either, but I have heard that they're migrating from western roadrunner country.

Perhaps the folks at Fish & Wildlife could help advise you. I pray for the safety of your flocks & herds and for comfort for your broken heart.

So sorry... he was a handsome fella!!! My father lives up north (MI) and the coyotes come in during the day sometimes and attack the dogs. He shoots any coyote he sees on his property. They are not nice creatures.

Quote:
Actually Montville, CT(connecticut) is one of the most populated areas with coyotes. I never would have believed it myself.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry. My brother would suggest trapping...coyotes are persistent. Growing up on the farm, we had issues with them for many things. No worries seeing them in the daytime...only if they approach you.
Our coyotes would travel in packs, and killed more than one of our dogs.

* They seem to be nearly EVERYWHERE all of a sudden. They moved into the area where my mom lives in NorCal 2 years ago and have driven off or eaten about everything except the bears, mtn. lions, and bigger deer and elk. She hasn't seen a rabbit, quail or fox in months.

Last edited:
We don't see many coyotes here in - I know they are here, I am surrounded by woods - but the raccoons must be eating them because those little beasts are at the top of the food chain around here. It gets REAL bad once they eat one of your animals - then they ALL come for a meal. You will have to kill them. Trapping them is just going to push them onto someone else who may not have had a problem yet. Perhaps someone released that coyote in the woods near your home. They are in plentiful supply and do nothing but spread disease. I would say its time to arm yourself and lie in wait. If you are not the killing kind then you have two options that I know of

1. Spend about $50 on a motion activated high pressure sprinkler head. These are pretty effective if the water pressure is hard enough, the cast is wide enough and you can feed it from a 55-gal drum of "Predator Punch" (Water/White Vinegar/Tobasco). Won't hurt your other pets if they get sprayed because they have someone nice to wash it off of them! LOL - Entertainment Value: ****

2. Don't wanna spend money? Have a man (for obvious reasons) urinate all around your pens (morning is best - also for obvious reasons) and then throw a couple pieces of raw chicken on the ground, somewhere in the woods where you think they will travel across it, and urinate around that meat. I have no idea if this works, but I have heard it does. Theory being that the urine of your predator's predator will drive him away - but just on to the next hen house.

Back
Top Bottom