now I know... ewkkkkkkkkkk

And my dh says the neighbors are going to call the men in the white coats just because I go running and yelling like a banshee when the chickens are screaming the distress call!! Wait until I show him YOUR post!! hahahahahaha!!!!

Thank you for the good laugh.
gig.gif

Welll the day is over Im calmed down.. now what do I do? Ive been known to walk into the chicken house and put my hand in the nest to see if there were any eggs there.. never again.
Do the snakes come at night? Surely they are day time only burglars.

How in the world can a person "snake proof" a chicken house?

seriously.. I have a dove aviary with 30 or so doves in it. I have not had any eggs this season. Normally Id have several young and many on nest by now.. Ive wondered what was going on.. but I betcha it was that evil fellow eating their eggs.. as i pinched his head yellow yolk came out of his mouth and it was a mild yellow..not the yummy gold red of my chicken egg yolks.. so I think I caught him after he left the dove aviary. before he got any hen eggs.
This surely has mde me a changed woman.. Im so glad to hear of the laughs it caused.. makes me happy.. truly you should have seen it if you really wanted to laugh.. swishing and swaying as i ran with that thing held out in front of me.. screaming for DH... flapping might be a better word for "them".. whew!

Oh, that's a bummer he was eating your dove eggs
sad.png
At least you and your "flappers" got him out of there before he ate your hens
lol.png

Great story, btw. You should write for a living
smile.png

Edited to add: Good quick thinking, too! And the T-shirt worked!

Last edited:
* OMGosh! You poor thing. Pretty brave of you though to grab him with your shirt!!!! Was the snake a big one?!? Eating all your dove's eggs for a year, can't help but imagine it to be huge!!

It was last year that I threw him over the fence.. this time he went on a long ride. I doubt if ill see him again..but how many off spring does he have..? i dunno.

Today.. I found 6 dove eggs. yep..hes been full. I did nt think a lot about the eggs being gone.. but i did figure that the way they were "making love" out there that soon eggs must come.. well now they are coming. I have 30 or so Doves and they seem happier.
I will never again be able to walk into my ch icken house with a free mind .. my life has changed.. even if he isnt poisionious.. the way he grabbed hold of the perch on the hen nest.. he was so strong.. he pulled and i had to turn lose of him to unwrap him from the perch. If he had my neck i dont know what would have happened.. probably he would have turned loose..
Thanks for the replys.. it has been good to share this with yall. luv jdy

When I had snake problems I stuffed steel wool in every crevice and crack, I also used screen wire ( like on windows) to cover chicken wire. They can't get thru that.

Lots of work, but worth it.

Good luck
smile.png

After reading these posts and after finding a snake in my chicken coop twice I think its time to do some predator proofing. The final straw was this morning when I opened the door to the coop addition where the 5 week old chicks are living. I found a dead chick (when do they quit being chicks, these guys are no longer infants or toddlers, they're teenagers and preteens?). Its head and neck were wet but the body was from the shoulders on down was dry. No real trauma signs were noticed. I figured the big rat snake had gotten in during the night when they were sleeping and tried to eat the bird. When it couldn't get past the shoulders it regurgitated it. Yeah, I know it sounds gross but it's nature.

Back
Top Bottom