now i remember why I hate incubating in May/June

llaaadyel

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Lower NY
I have been using the same hovabator for years without any issues. The weather has been crazy here in NY, one week its 60 then this week its 90+. Our central air is going crazy. I have the bator full and one night it spiked to 102 and now last night it went down to 98. It will be a miricle if these eggs hatch. Im so frustrated. I think I might actually move the bator to another room that has less temp swings.

Just wanted to vent.

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Go to the hardware store and buy yourself a couple of 4 x 8 sheets of pink foamboard, the thicker the better, a roll or two of duct tape, and a good sharp utility knife.

Make yourself a big box -- cut one sheet in half so that you have two 4 x 4 pieces. Cut the other sheet in half into two 4 x 4 pieces, then cut each of those lengthwise so you end up with four 2 x 4 pieces.

Tape the 4 sides together into a box on the 2 foot side so you have a box that's 2 feet tall and 4 x 4 feet. Then, tape one of the 4 x 4 sheets onto it for a bottom. Then with your utility knife, cut out a small hole on one end about the 3 inches in diameter, towards the top of one of the sides, and a corresponding hole at the bottom of the opposite side -- this will allow just a little air flow and oxygen without too much temperature swing.

Finally, put the whole apparatus on a stable surface in whichever room in your house has the least temperature swings, such as a basement. Put the incubator in it, centered as much as is possible, then put on the lid and use a couple of pieces of tape to hold it in place (you will need to take it on and off, so just tape loosely.

This will greatly reduce the temperature swings. I would recommend that you run the incubator in place in the box for a couple of days with a few dummy eggs inside (store eggs or even something like a few small potatoes or a couple of ziplock bags with about a half cup of water in each) just to get the thermostat settings right before you put hatching eggs in it.

Top Bottom