NOW I want to be SICK!!

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
OK, so there was a posting at the local feed mill.....duck, chickens and turkeys for sale. Sooo, of course I called the lady. It took several weeks for me to get together with her. DH and I went by her place yesterday to get a little turkey hen. OMG, Ya'll.....if you could have seen the HORRID conditions we saw....I was litterally sick to my stomach!! This little turkey hen was in a dog kennel....with about 15 Silver Seabrites...and probably 15 Wyandots. The pen was roughly6 x 8...had a ragged tarp over top, that was caved in, and the birds were ducking in and out of it. The "water dish" was BLACK and GREEN water!! moldy corn on the ground...we grab the hen,put her in another cage to bring her home, and she tells me....want to soo the rest of the gang? I Immediately thought...NO WAY are there more animals....yes, sadly, there were SEVERAL cages of chickens. These cages were about 2x2 wire cages...green water IF there was ANY! She threw cracked corn on the floor of these cages for them to eat. She has a beautifull white silky roo, in a 2x2 cage...moldy corn for a floor.There was another small cage..( 2x2)with a hen and 6 or 7 babies...not sure what breeds, cross breeds im sure...but banty. Just terrible conditions!! If I was a rich person, I would have bought them all. As it were, she wanted 15.00 for the turkey hen...all I could afford for now. I would have to say she had....40 or more pens, with cramped chickens in them. Dirty, rotten eggs laying all over the cage floors...JUST AWFULL!!! She is an older woman...and she works...and I know she has little time to properly care for them, so....I volunteered my time to help her get them into better cages...and help clean them up. My new turkey hen is in quarantine...there is NO TELLING what disease she might have. When I gave her REAL turkey feed, she dove into it, like she was starved. What a terrible day yesterday was....I will never get those images out of my head! Im so sorry....I just HAD to vent...I hope I can help her get those poor birds in better condition..and ready for winter. She has rabbits, same condition...Peacock and hens.....tuekeys...all very sad.

I live very close to you... what feedmill is this at?

I hope you helping her get things cleaned up will improve things.
barnie.gif

I hate to say this, but buying her birds probably won't help her out much, unless her intent is to sell them to get her numbers down and buy feed/better conditions for the ones left.

She sounds either like a 'hoarder' who just keeps collecting animals she can't take care of properly, or a 'breeder' who doesn't care. Sounds more like a hoarder from what you posted...

If she was so happy to show you all those small cages and unsanitary conditions, she may just be a hoarder who has lost touch with how horrible the conditions are - she's so used to seeing it that way she doesn't think any better.

If she truly can't care for them properly, animal control/humane society may need to get involved to help her.

I'd gear my efforts towards getting her to give away her extra stock, and clean up what she has left. If she is not set a 'limit' by law or animal control, etc to limit her numbers, it won't be long before she has just as many if not more that she can't take care of...

Seen this too often.

I hope you are successful in cleaning up the conditions and maybe she will kind of clue in how these animals are suppose to be cared for. I'm amazed how people can actually treat animals.

To be really honest, I'm certainly glad that you got the turkey hen, but I'd drop a dime on the conditions...
Even if you help her clean it up, who's to say it would end up that way again...It sounds to me like she is a hoarder...

I think it's good you offered to help her out, but I think she needs to be reported. I doubt that even if you can help her get things cleaned up, that it will change anything in the long run. As soon as you're out of the picture it will probably go back the way it was......she's obviously blind to how to keep her animals.

Back
Top Bottom