now im getting confused

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Mar 12, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so that big old rabbit hutch i showed you guys well i was planning on keeping 14 in that one half but i them was actually thinking about this stuff and did the math and half of it is only a 2 x 4.5 and that only gives me nine square feet. So the question is could i keep 14 in that half? Except i remember on here that i could keep 30? I am now confused. Please help.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If You Keep To The 1ft Rule Of Thumb Thats Space For 9...

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Ok...now you have to tell thekid the proper hen to roo ratio for 9 birds that fit in 9 square feet!

I say 8 hens and 2 roos and screw the 1 foot rule of thumb! As long as they get along...I'm cool with it!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Ok...now you have to tell thekid the proper hen to roo ratio for 9 birds that fit in 9 square feet!

I say 8 hens and 2 roos and screw the 1 foot rule of thumb! As long as they get along...I'm cool with it!

[​IMG] with coturnix you will be find

5. thekid

i was planning on getting 12 hens and 2 roos i just need to know if that would fit in that half? Oh well i guess i will move the rabbit haha

6. Axtorus

Axtorus New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    Personally I'd try the 14 birds in the 9 sqFT. I know most people use the 1 bird per 1sqFT rule but, most your manufactored quail pens used a rule of 1 bird per 0.5sqFT. If they start fighting either remove the trouble maker or move a few out to another pen.

7. thekid

Quote:thankyou i will try that and if they dont get along somebody is going to make a great meal

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Sounds like a plan Kid. If ya brood them together, they'll most likely get along till they get older anyway. Then just put the extra roos or troublemakers on the grill, along with that ol'rabbit you got all fattened up proper... [​IMG] Bill

9. thekid

if they all dont get along well you know what that mean.... Everybody at my house!!!!! lol [​IMG]

10. thekid

and could i feed purina flock raiser to them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by