Now that I've stopped crying, so mad at McMurray!! Update! Post #6

I'm sorry for not understanding and making you relive it- but how does shipping through USPS on the weekend change the length of time the chicks were in transit? Would they have had a shorter distance to go if shipped during the week?

I'm sorry for not understanding and making you relive it- but how does shipping through USPS on the weekend change the length of time the chicks were in transit? Would they have had a shorter distance to go if shipped during the week?
The whole reason day old chicks can be shipped at all is the simple fact that from the time they hatch they have roughly three days of egg yolk to live on.

Living in a very rural area where the USPS has closed many post offices, including the two closest to us, means not much happens on a Sunday. The USPS is in fact talking about ending our Saturday mail delivery altogether. The chicks sat at the Hot Springs sorting facility all day Sunday, awaiting transport to the closest post office, adding a day to their transport.

Had the chicks been shipped earlier in the week they would have been in transport the whole time, not sitting someplace waiting for the next business day.

The distance wouldn't have changed, the time frame would have. The mail gets sorted at the Hot Springs facility on Sundays, but it doesn't move until Monday.

Last edited:
Ahh, living in an area where USPS works 24/7 I wasn't sure why the weekend made a difference. Thank you for explaining.

Oh, it won't help you because it's still barred but my surprise chick looks to be a Dominique instead of a Barred Rock. I had just assumed BR as a chick but, surprise!

Ahh, living in an area where USPS works 24/7 I wasn't sure why the weekend made a difference. Thank you for explaining.

Oh, it won't help you because it's still barred but my surprise chick looks to be a Dominique instead of a Barred Rock. I had just assumed BR as a chick but, surprise!
I'm pretty sure that this little guy is a barred rock, but thanks for the info. When he is old enough he will be going to live in my brahma coop. My Ideal brahma girls are now 6 1/2 years old. The girls decided long ago that they won't take any gruff from some upstart rooster. He will be schooled. ;)

I live in Western Massachusetts and the last time I used McMurray I had a massive die-off. Seven out of fifteen died within days of receipt.

I live in Western Massachusetts and the last time I used McMurray I had a massive die-off. Seven out of fifteen died within days of receipt.
I'm sorry. It's so sad to watch the little ones fade away.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom