Now that I've stopped crying, so mad at McMurray!! Update! Post #6

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My hatchery of choice is Ideal and when I need hatchery chicks I usually order from April to May. This year I needed chicks later in the year and Ideal was sold out of the breeds I wanted, so I decided to give McMurray a shot. I ordered 15 of the "feather footed fancies" plus a pair of polish, for a total of 17 birds. I later remembered that McMurray always adds a "free surprise chick" unless you ask them not to, but I didn't mind an extra chick.
When I ordered chicks it was for June 30th, I wrongly assumed that this was the day they would ship. When I received an email saying that my chicks could ship anytime between the June 27th and June 30th I immediately called the McMurray, concerned about them shipping chicks over the weekend to my rural location. The lady at the hatchery said all the right things to reassure me. On Monday June 30th I got a call from the postmistress at our local post office. I could hear the tears in her voice. The postmistress is a chicken keeper herself and she told me she had become worried when the box of chicks wasn't making as much noise as a box of chicks usually does so she peeked. She said there were only 3 chicks alive - there was actually four alive, but one just barely. The sight of that box of dead chicks was heartbreaking. I worked all day to save the fourth chick but it was not to be.
The postmistress wasn't able to tell me whether the chicks sat in a cold sorting facility all day Sunday or baked in a hot truck. At any rate, I don't feel the death of the chicks has anything to do with the USPS, the distance they had to travel (Ideal is 6 hrs. from my home, McMurray is 10); a few times my Ideal chicks have taken three days to get to me yet were still alive and thriving, or the temps. It has everything to do with the hatchery shipping them on a weekend. Last time I checked, Ideal shipped on Mondays and Wednesdays, allowing plenty of time for them to reach their destination before Sunday. I cannot believe that a hatchery that's been in business for nearly 100 years would find it acceptable to ship on a weekend!
When I called the hatchery to report that I had 4 live chicks out of a box of 18 they refunded my money, but only after trying their best to talk me into letting them ship me another order over the 4th of July weekend...unbelievable!! Infuriating me even more was the lady telling me that the chicks didn't actually hatch until Saturday the 28th, my order status on their website and the box label say differently. The order status on their website states that the chicks hatched on the 27th. The box label says the 27th. That's four days in transport and that is unacceptable.

I would have paid twice the amount I did to receive a box full of live, healthy chicks. Instead I have 3 male chicks, one the surprise chick that is not a rare breed and actually a breed I can't have due to a seizure disorder (barred rock and the pattern disturbs my vision). All three chicks are still in "intensive care".

Please let my post be a warning to you. No matter what hatchery you choose, ask to be sure that they don't ship on Fridays or Saturdays, especially if you live in a rural area as I do. To the hatcheries baby chicks may only be a product, but to me they are precious living beings. They deserve better than to bake, freeze or starve on a Sunday because a hatchery can't manage to adjust their hatching schedule to match the post office's schedule.

I've had that happen too. It's heartbreaking. Sorry you had to go through that. :(

When we ordered from mcmurray three of our ducklings died... When we got the replacements another died and finally on our third try we got to alive ducklings...

Sorry y'all lost some birds too. It's sad when they become nothing more than products. At least the three I have left seem to be improving. All roosters, but all deserve a chance.
I have friends that are very much against supporting any hatchery, because of their disposal methods of the male chicks, but living in Commercial Poultry Central like I do I don't have much choice. I at least ease my conscience a bit by ordering straight run (vs. only females), so the males I receive get a chance. One of the best roosters I ever had was an accidental rooster.

I ran into our regular letter carrier at the grocery store last night and she confirmed what I already knew....
My chicks from McMurray (which my order status on their website says shipped on a Thursday) had to go from Ohio, to Shreveport LA, to Little Rock, then to Hot Springs, AR before arriving at our local post office (local as in two towns away) on Monday. She also told me that the man that drives the mail truck from Hot Springs to our post office raises chickens too and always takes extra care with shipped chicks. If it's hot or cold he puts them in the cab of the truck. My chicks surely ran out of egg yolk sometime Sunday and starved and/or dehydrated to death.
If you live in a rural area, take heed! Just because you live a mere ten hours from the hatchery doesn't mean you will get them quickly; especially if the hatchery ships late in the week.

An older guy at church would always get his chicks from McMurray, because that's where he always got them. But this year and last year they shipped them over the weekend, and he had quite a few losses. He said he is ever ordering from them again.

I love Ideal - they ship Mondays-Wedesdays, and Cackle ships Mondays and Wednesdays. I would not order from a hatchery that ships on the weekend.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this. It is just heartbreaking when we lose our little chicks, especially when it could be prevented. :(

I didn't know there were hatcheries that shipped late in the week. We live in a rural area like you, so it would definitely be a concern for us too. If you are looking for another hatchery in the future, I know that Meyer (in Ohio) has a lot of breeds and ships early in the week. We've been very pleased with them.

Will you be able to get more chicks to replace the ones you planned for? Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your little ones.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. It is a horrible thing that they would ship on a weekend. A refund never fixes the emotions they hurt with seeing little innocent babies die like that. I would order from another hatchery, they don't seem to value the lives of those babies. I did get an order from mypetchicken.com and was very happy with them. I did a small order of 4 chicks and lost one, probably due to the merricks vac. They do not ship on weekends and do next day shipping.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this. It is just heartbreaking when we lose our little chicks, especially when it could be prevented. :(

I didn't know there were hatcheries that shipped late in the week. We live in a rural area like you, so it would definitely be a concern for us too. If you are looking for another hatchery in the future, I know that Meyer (in Ohio) has a lot of breeds and ships early in the week. We've been very pleased with them.

Will you be able to get more chicks to replace the ones you planned for? Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your little ones.
hugs.gif

I will get new chicks from Ideal, either this fall or in the spring, but the losses seriously messed up my coop arrangement. I have a large outdoor brooder set up in one of the coops. The ones that died and the three survivors were/are all standards, whereas the four little birds that occupy the largest part of that coop (separated from the brooder) are bantams. My plan was to use the smaller brooder section for the new chicks until they outgrew it, then switch and put the banties in the brooder section and the standards in the larger section.
In order to get more chicks so I can have an additional 17 like I planned, I am going to have to grow the three survivors out in the brooder than introduce them to another coop (my brahma coop). The rooster that is currently in the brahma coop will be moving back to his former coop (the serama coop) so he doesn't get his butt kicked by two standard roosters; two of the survivors - a SF and the barred rock. In other words, just do a lot of bird re-arranging. I don't want the easygoing, laid-back banties in a coop with much larger cochins and brahmas. The only good news is that one of the survivors, originally named Apollo and now called Apple, is a female not a male like I thought. I could have sworn she was a male brahma but she is feathering out like a female.
As it is right now, the three chicks are in the brooder during the day and in the house at night. I'm just too scared of losing them to allow them to spend all night in the coop.
Thanks for the
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom