Now that was interesting!

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
I went out to the feeder today and offered my chickens some treats. Crackers decided to tell Frightful where the bear sits and Frightful being her cowardly self
hide.gif
screamed like a maniac! Well Snickers the roo got all in a tizzy and ran full bore at the two of them and told them off! I guess he doesnt like fighting!!

I never knew that roos were like police birds! I was worried he would be a bully to the other birds, but he seems to be calming down and even giving scraps to Frightful on occasion. He learned real quick from me who was the boss and he is subordinate to me when i come in. Though he still gets upset when i hold one of the girls to inspect them. Hes always sing-song twittering at the girls too and when i put treats down he does a funny clucking noise, I think its his "come and get it" song lol.

I hope these are signs of a good roo! I think he is close to a year old now.

He's doing his job!
big_smile.png

I had read that roos will break up fights in their flocks, but seeing is believing. Ours will do the same. If he catches one pecking another, he'll usually run over and stuff himself between them, clucking all the while. I've never seen him peck any of the girls, even when he occasionally gets pecked for interjecting himself in their business.

Yeah, they do this hollow clucking when they find food and want the ladies to come and get it. Ours will even carry whatever tidbit he wants to share TO his favorite hen if no one responds to his call. That's a riot, because sometimes he carries it an awful long way! I've read that some will use this same call to lure hens in so they can mount them, too. I haven't seen ours pull that trick yet, but I wouldn't necessarily put it past him.
lol.png

Roos are a riot to watch!

LOL yeah I was beginning to think he was going to ahve to go, but yesterday I saw him show Frightful where to nest. It seemed as though over night her crest turned red! I think she is really close if the egg I found this morning isnt hers.

Yeah he shoved himself between them and made them split up! I could not believe it! I had no idea that roos did that! He is still a bit of a brute when it comes to mounting though. I dont think he knows how to dance!

I think Im going to start calling him "Behave". One reason is because Im always telling him to and the other is because hes such a snappy dresser and always strutting and flirting, just like Austin Powers lol

Last edited:
Is he a brown leghorn? He's a good looking bird! I like your chicken's names.
gig.gif

I hope you don't have to get rid of him. Now that we have ours, I'm wondering how we did without.
lol.png
I'm sure he'll surprise you in more ways than one as the days go by. I'm also sure he knows how to dance, but maybe he's not feeling motivated to try out his moves yet. Ours doesn't always dance and when he does, it's only for one of the hens. He doesn't have much interest in the other girls.

If he's young, then the clumsiness should be a temporary thing. He should get smoother with practice. If the girls start getting a bit bare on the backs, look into getting them some hen saddles (there are a few people selling them for very reasonable here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/19/everything-else ).

lol this morning I go into the coop and find my rooster "coaching" my little red hen Frightful. hes doing this low toned rumble. It sounded like purring, sort of the same clicking whine sound dolphins make. She was in the box just doing her thing and he stood out front making this noise. It was soooo cool!

Back
Top Bottom