Now that you've filled the freezer, what did they cost?

I bought 10 chicks at $1.50 each $15
4 died young

the remaining six eat about 100lbs of feed in their time. Thats roughly $30 in feed. they cost me $7.50 plus 2 months of daily care.

I blame myself for the deaths because i stopped giving them chick care, simply because they were bigger than normal chicks, which was a mistake, because they still needed to be looked after like week olds typically do.

My cost has always varied directly with the mortality rate of the hatching I received but has always been $2 to $3 per pound if you are processing yourself. If processing outside, add that cost to it. It is much higher than your production line chicken but worth it from the quality and health aspects.

My test batch of Cornish X ended up costing me $1.51/lb of processed whole bird, including losing one bird the day I received them. Feed cost for 4 birds was just over $19 for me, at $12.00 per 50lbs. I processed them myself because I work cheap.
wink.png

We raised 28 cornish x last august-september. Adding cost of chicks, feed, and processing.....then dividing that by the total pounds of dressed birds....it came to $1.93 lb. Feed averaged $13.00 per 50 lb bag and processing was approx. $3.00 each. We grew ours out to 9 wks 2 days and lost a couple to natural causes in the final 5 days. This year, I'm sticking to the plan of 8 wks and out. Lower mortality should lower the cost per pound of dressed bird. Hope this helps and Good luck.

Were just now finding that out. We have a journal here ---> http://freedomrangers.blogspot.com/ if your interested in following along to find out. At the end I will post the entire cost of raising 26 meat birds (Freedom Rangers). SO far they are just under 3 weeks old and they have went though just over a 50 lb bag of feed (@ 15.00 a piece) and started on the second bag today. Each bird was 2.00 a piece and we spent 500 (about) to build a summer coop for them.

Back
Top Bottom