Now two chickens gasping. Please help! Video.

Read this thread, the threads in it and watch the videos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

-Kathy

Thank you for all of the info. Luckily, I am a Vet Tech, but most of my experience is with dogs, cats and horses! I have been using the Poly-Vi-Sol dropper to get water into Winona and Dapple is still drinking on her own. I guess all I can do is try different treatments and hope one does it. Severe parasite infestation seemed to fit best, but I just don't know now. I have I.V. line here and catheter syringes so that I can tube feed. I have refluxed pre and post surgical colicing horses, it cannot be harder than that!

Again, Thank you so very much!

Thank you for all of the info. Luckily, I am a Vet Tech, but most of my experience is with dogs, cats and horses! I have been using the Poly-Vi-Sol dropper to get water into Winona and Dapple is still drinking on her own. I guess all I can do is try different treatments and hope one does it. Severe parasite infestation seemed to fit best, but I just don't know now. I have I.V. line here and catheter syringes so that I can tube feed. I have refluxed pre and post surgical colicing horses, it cannot be harder than that!

Again, Thank you so very much!
Lol, *way* easier! Since you're a vet tech, you might like this two book set:
http://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/clinical-avian-medicine/

Chapters 7 and 9 are the ones I use the most, 7 is where it says to hydrate orally at 30ml/kg every 6-8 hours.

-Kathy

Last edited:
@Eggcessive , do you know what the inner diameter of aquarium air hose is?

-Kathy
I'm looking at mine from Walmart--Aqua Culture brand--the outer diameter is 1/2 cm, 5 mm, or 3/16 inch, and the inner diameter is 4 mm or just under 3/16 inch, I think. The length comes in 8 ft. It cost less than $3 if I remember correctly. It is great for putting water into an incubator with a syringe without opening the lid during a hatch.

A Q-tip can be used down their throat to check for gape worm and help dislodge them. This may give some temporary relief until treatment works. Can you take a poo sample in and have it looked at for all parasites?

Rule out crop issues, flat in morning, no egg bound, dust for mites.

This just came in the mail today.

In it is this:

-Kathy

Disclaimer: Not saying that I think either bird has gapes, nor what the proper treatment is, just wanted to share what I just saw and read.

Great
This just came in the mail today.
LL
In it is this: -Kathy Disclaimer: Not saying that I think either bird has gapes, nor what the proper treatment is, just wanted to share what I just saw and read.
Great information Kathy. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom